Identify this weed/moss?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by groundbeetle, Apr 10, 2022.

1. groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    Can anyone identify this weed or moss? It came in a small pot of a violet that I bought. There is a small violet plant growing in the middle of it.

I think it might be a liverwort?

Is it likely to spread or be a nuisance in the garden, or does it have any value for other plants or beneficial insects? Should I treat it as a weed and remove it, or leave it? I noticed it has spread forming small patches away from the main patch.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  2. Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
    Ratings:
    +913
    To me it looks like there is a liverwort and some moss in the photos. I usually leave them grow away without interfering as they need damp to continue growing and without the same type of root systems that other plants develop they don't really compete with my cultivated plants. As older life forms than seed producing plants they also have a longer history of supporting wild life which for me is a priority in the garden.

Happy gardening!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1