id's & help please-house plants

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by borrowers, Mar 14, 2008.

1. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Hi all
    I decided this morning to try to repair my poor neglected house plants. OOPS. Also i've forgotten the names of them. Please can you help?

This first one:- tried to cut off the dead leaves. Cut half the plant off [​IMG] Second pic is what i accidently cut off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is it now
    [​IMG]

Should i be staking this or should it be left to 'flop' everywhere :confused:

sorry for rubbish photo's, still learning (& forever will be i think) :rolleyes:

cheers

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Hi borrowers, this one is a Prayer Plant or Maranta leuconeura erythroneura ...

Here is a link..http://www.hplants.com/prayer_plant.htm

I used to have one years ago, nice plants.. Good Luck with yours now you can find out about it. Google the name & you will find loads of info.. [​IMG]

3. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks Marley,

Will go to your link now.

Any idea on the second id question? I think it's the same sort of family (if that's the right expression) cos it also closes its leaves at night.

cheers

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Thinking & looking in my book borrowers.. Must dash now, but will be back later... :rolleyes: [​IMG]

5. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Borrowers, this isn't as common a variety of Maranta now it was 30 years ago (when I used to grow them) and the Marantas have been ousted by the more lush and now, in variety, Calatheas. Maranta Tricolor (the old name) has a naturally trailing habit and doesn't look good 'tied up' as it grows angularly.
    They don't like bright light, extremes of temperature or waterlogging, other than that they are easy. :D

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,095
    They have really fantastic leaf patterns, nature is wonderful. [​IMG]

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Borrowers if it's in a central heated room it is probably too dry for it, see your other post on one way I have of keeping mine healthy.

8. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Thank you all.

Didn't know it was a hard to deal with plant! Lucky to still have it, that is if it survives after i've cut half of it off. All my house plants are at least 2 years old.

To be honest ( & i know you're going to hate me for it) the Mantara & other were bought cos they had a purple type colour to them & that fitted my living room. I love plants in the house & these just seemed to go.

I seem to have done well with them going by the replies i've had. Does anyone know how often they should be repotted? As i said, have had these a couple of years.

Cheers

9. njoyit2

njoyit2 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.houseofplants.co.uk/Maranta_tricolour.htm

they both look like the same plant to me -

piece of advice they will not like sitting that close to a radiator and they are known as a fairly low light level plant so direct sunlight during middle of the day will cause scorching and burning to the leaves.

Moisture lovers so spray/misting may help avoid those clinkled brown edges:)

10. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Hi njoyit2 (love the name!), yes i think i've got that one in the wrong place. Stuck for room though so will have to have a jiggle :D

I'm afraid to say i must have damaged it when i cut half of it off by mistake & now it's down to 1/3rd of the original size :eek:

Have finally got a mister (well old spray bottle) so will try & remember to mist them. At the moment it's still like winter some days :(

thanks for the link.

cheers

11. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,475
    If you move it will it be able to use the remote control from its new position? [​IMG] :D

12. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48