If a possible YES vote in The Scootsih Referendum wasn't bad enough!

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by silu, Sep 11, 2014.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    On top of all the hoo haa which is going on around me my flaming hedge trimmer has packed up and I still have some serious Cupressus Leylandii hedges to trim. I quickly add I didn't plant them but they do split the garden up quite well and give shelter. Not a clue what's wrong with the trimmer and complete waste of time asking my husband! so probably best to invest in a new 1.

Recommendations please. See there is a Stihl HS 45 which comes with typical Stihl price tag! but I really am clueless as to what to buy. I have a fairly big Beech hedge to trim (about 30 yards long and 8 ft high) plus 10 Cypressus Leylandii trees which are trimmed into sort of "lollipop" shape and have been planted to stop people going on the grass verge plus 2 Cupressus Leylandii hedges, each about 15 yards long by about 10 ft high. Photo is to show the lollipops to the right of the burn. Do hope someone can advise me, thanks. CIMG2756.JPG

2. FrankE

FrankE Apprentice Gardener

Ret'd
    Ratings:
    +9
    I was looking at horticultural flats, trays and drip drays. The UK distributor considers AB postcodes too remote to allow oline orders. I can see that sort of situation getting worse and DD, EH, G postcodes getting added to exclusion lists. I trimmed my neighbour's hedge by hand yesterday so as not to obscure my "[Hell], No" posters from those visiing the polling station across the road on Thursday. I'm bricking it at the thought of having a new nationality forced on me by fans of Mel Gibson, the alcoholic racist, then be considered a foreigner in my own country. Anyhow, moving on, if you can afford it, yes, go with Stihl, Husqvarna (commercial grade if you can and your plot requires it) as they have good after-market support. Have you tried Clark, Balgownie Machines or local equivalent for repairs or advice? What model is the borked oneWhat was the failure mode? i.e. in what way are they not worling?

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Welcome to Gardeners Corner Frank :sign0016:

• Like Like x 1
      • nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
        Ratings:
        +2,908
        Have you checked the fuse?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        I'm finding my (petrol 2-stroke) hedge trimmer heavy to use ...

I am in love with my Flymo Contour edge trimmer - 24V battery job. Someone told me (not verified) that their hedge trimmer has a compatible battery. I'd like a spare battery anyway ... yeah, you guessed it, spare battery price is about the same as the strimmer-edger! so if the hedge trimmer is indeed battery-compatible then I'll buy one of those next.

Have you got edges to trim too? If so I have a suggestion ... :heehee:

• Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
        Ratings:
        +857
        Re the Stihl hedge trimmer.. I have the HS 85 which is basically the largest of the HS trimmers. I had a Ryobi before that.
        The Stihl starts very very easily. Its light. It has double sided cutting blades . Oh and did I mention its easy to start ?
        Im a bit of a stickler when it comes to tools and will save hard to buy the best I can lay my hands on. I work on the buy cheap buy twice principle.

I too have beech hedges which are as you know quite tough and will make an under-powered machine work very hard. The Stihl cuts beech easily and never falters or gets stuck. For me cutting the hedges and so on can be an arduous job so the right and best piece of equipment wins hands down over a .... Well shall we say more economical machine.

I have been in construction all my working life (Retired early now) and we used Stihl on every application we could and the brand is in my opinion unbeatable !

I will try to post up a pic or two later when I am allowed.. Hope this helps !

Charlie.