If I suddenly dissapear...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Phil A, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    ...Then BT will have noticed i've stopped the direct debit.

Took out their unlimited broadband package 3 months ago, you have to have a landline with it which you supposedly get free calls after 7pm & weekends, the whole thing should have cost £18.99 a month.

Anyway, got a letter from the bank with a £22 charge for exceeding my overdraft limit, so I checked the statement. I should have paid £56 for the last 3 months. BT have taken £317 out of my account.

Spent god knows how much on an 0845 number to some indian call centre who just kept telling me i've exceeded my phone usage limit. I kept telling them we don't use the landline, as we all have mobiles. They said they would phone me back and haven't. I've sent 2 emails of complaint & demanding an explaination, no response.

I've also discovered we have at least 2 landline numbers :cnfs:

So when Adam is on the phone to Jane on the advert, shes not rubbing her tum because shes pregnant, shes got belly ache from just seeing the bill.

Anyone else having similar with BT ?

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Exactly the same thing happened to me and we are still arguing back and forth, they are as bad as SKY for their very poor customer service levels.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: Well we have just changed from Orange who turned into the biggest nightmare out in the end.. To BT.. The complete package broad band phone calls & Vision & so far we cannot complain as they seem to have got it all right so far & the only 2 times we phoned customer back up, it may have been India but the English was very good.. The 2nd time the English was not so good I have to admit, but on both occasions problems solved without hassle... :thumb:

:dh: I really really hope you can get it sorted out Ziggy, as we would all miss Ya..!! :D That is not good practice on their part at all, just the sort of stuff that ends up in the papers & on the web... With them coming off badly every time..:wink: You would think they might try & get it right... :old:

4. JBDUB

JBDUB Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If you suddenly disappear I have £10 here that says it's all done with mirrors and Selotape...

srysly tho, Yeah BT scumbags if you wanna get a posse together and parade up and down the street outside their head office dressed as Batman, count me in...

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Lol JBDUB, that sounds like fun anyway :thumb:

Cheers Marley :D

Lollipop, was it the landline charges you had probs with ?

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466
    ziggy, sorry to hear about your problem with BT. Your 0845 number shouldn't cost you anything if you are dialling it during your free timings.

I would be inclined to phone them on 0800 800 150 (free all the time) and press option 1 (calling about the phone you are dialling from) and then option 2 (a problem with your bill). There is no doubt that your problem is with your bill so you will be through to the correct dept. It is still likely to be in India but at least the call is free all the time.

If they try to say that the problem is with BT internet and not with the phone line just insist that the problem is with the bill you are receiving for your phoneline package. By the sound of what you have said, they are saying it is the charge for phone usage and you are not using the phone. Ask them to send you a detailed account of the usage and to hold in abeyance any decisions about what they are doing to the account until you have had some communication from them. Emphasise that the account is in dispute.

Internet usage is another thing entirely. You shouldn't be getting any further charge for the internet unless you have exceeded any limit that was in your contract. Most contracts do have download limits.

good luck with it.

7. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    I've just had a run-in with BT when I switched phone calls to AOL. I had to keep their land-line and pay the rental fee but then I got a £90 cancellation charge. I'd already talked to them months ago and the charge had been waived but after being promised return calls this time to no avail, I wrote a stiff letter to them. After a week I got a phone call saying the charge had been dropped and when I asked if they were going to write and confirm it the girl was most put out. I insisted and finally got a grovelling, well for BT it was, letter.

So my advice Ziggy is to write. Ironic, since they're a phone company!

Chris

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I like the irony :lollol:Cheers all for the advice, just went to phone india again but they gone to bed at 6pm, an hour before the free calls kick in. Will use the 0800 number in the morning, with the " account is in dispute" bit.

Have checked my package (oo, eer mrs!) & its option 3, unlimited downloads, surf, file swap or play online games for days on end with no worries of further charges.

So i'm pretty certain its the landline. Local opinion is that they've connected it up wrong & someone else has just realised they are getting free calls & is phoning everyone.

Being a conversion, there was never a landline here so they put a new pole on my property & took the line off next doors pole, which happens to be a business, hmm :scratch:

9. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    D'you know what, BT are a NIGHTMARE!!!!! You can't pay monthly now, well not if you change anything, you have to pay 3 monthly and not by Direct Debit. How things have changed for the worse, the last time I phoned them the guy on the other end asked me 3 times to repeat my first name Valerie and then said........can you spell that for me!!!!! I suppose it would be funny if it wasn't so INFURIATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Val

10. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    I am with Virgin and have been for many years. i have found their service very good. i was tempted with offers from B.T. and others to change over to them (,but if it aint broke dont fix it).I contacted Virgin last week as i wanted to cut down on my package. i selected my package on line ,it was going to save me £20
    a month. i thought( GREAT). I HAD THE PACKAGE 3 DAYS:(. first day ,my Grandaughter complained because i did not have the Disney channel :(. 2nd day, wife complained because her Hallmark channel was
    GONE:( 3rd day i complained my Racing channel was gone :(. phoned virgin to reinstate my original package, this was done within a couple of hours :) music :cool:.

11. Val..

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Now that is what I call service!!!! :thumb:

Val

12. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    We're with Virgin on one TV, We've "freeview" on three others, we have a V+HD box so we get HD but we don't have Sky Sports or movies, but pretty much everything else with TV band "XL"

We've "L" band internet, supposedly 10mg, presently running at 6. But usually nearer 9.

"Talk unlimited" for "free" daytime calls to "normal numbers"

Free internet security, (£3 a month on cheaper tafiffs).

With all the discounts it costs £41.68 plus vat.

What makes it more expensive is all my wife's "premium" 0800 calls to various shopping channels, I don't mind she's got MS, so it's her hobby.

We paid £99 for the V+HD box just after Christmas. They are advertising it now at £50. I complained last week so they gave me £30 back,
    I'm reasonably happy with the service.

13. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Ziggy - sorry to hear about your problem. I have heard of similar horror stories with all sorts of different types of company.

I find this site very useful http://www.saynoto0870.com/ . It gives a number of 0800 numbers for different companies. On principle I will only use an 0800 number. If necessary I will ring any department in that company that has an 0800 number and then apologise for getting the wrong department and ask them to transfer me - it always works.

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466
    Hi Val (how do you spell it? :rotfl:),
    I'm puzzled by this 'not by Direct Debit' bit. :scratch:

I'm with BT (have been with them for ever :hehe:) and I've just changed the contracts on two of my lines. One of them I have taken their special offer of £113 for a year for the line rental and £4.99 per month for anytime dialling (all normal numbers plus 0845 and 0870 numbers free). I had to pay the £113 by credit card but the £4.99 is on Direct Debit quarterly. The other line I changed the internet package on it (can't have the £113 deal on more than one line in a household) and that is paid by Direct Debit quarterly - for which they give a discount.

I usually find with BT that if you phone their sales line you get an English person and quite often they are able to deal with your queries. If I get a foreign accented person who has trouble with the language (or I have trouble with their accent) I ask very politely to be put on to someone with whom I can have a conversation without misunderstandings about the language. It works every time.

15. Val..

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Oh isn't that strange, I had to upgrade my internet connection and have a new Home Hub and was told that it would now be added on to my land line phone bill which isn't paid by direct debit!!! it is all very confusing!!!:scratch:

Val