If this was your blank canvas...?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fyfy K, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Fyfy K

Fyfy K Gardener

Ratings:
    +51
    ...what would you put in it?

I've weeded and will add compost this weekend, so all that's left is to put somthing interesting in here! I have clay soil and this bed get sun for most of the day, so i'm planning some clematis and jasmine for the trellis, delphiniums at the back; geraniums, campanula and echinacea for the middle, and phlox, nigella and cornflowers for front. Hydrangea maybe on one side. All this is based on liking these plants rather than any actual experience of growing them, so would you anything differently?
    bed1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,979
      Good choices, best to go with what you like. However most of those die down over-winter. Get an evergreen jasmine and underplant with spring bulbs (crocus & daffs) to liven it up outside of summer. I'd also consider more evergreen shrubs to provide a permanent backbone, such as aucuba japonica for year round interest and Daphne bholua for evergreen foliage and beautiful fragrance in the early spring.

How about a climbing Hydrangea on that left hand side fence.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
      • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,389
        hi fyfy: is there some barrier between the soil and the fence on the left of the picture? I am thinking that when the soil will be watered it may gradually damage the fence...

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Fyfy K

Fyfy K Gardener

Ratings:
          +51
          Ooo thanks @JWK , I hadn't thought past how it would look this summer, will definitely get some evergreen shrubs in there. @Java&Me I doubt it, the previous owners only ever used the garden to dry laundry, so very unlikely. I'll have a look and make plans. Thanks for the advice :smile:

• Like Like x 1
          • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,631
            I would paint the fence and trellises some cheery colours it makes such a different in the winter and on rainy days and makes the flower colours pop

I would def add some evergreen so hebes or dwarf conifers stuff that doesn't need too much attention but will fill space so it doesnt look bare in winter

• Like Like x 1