Ilex (holly) prickly leaves, shady area, for standalone tree or hedging

Discussion in 'Trees' started by ClematisDbee, Oct 5, 2024 at 11:46 AM.

1. ClematisDbee

ClematisDbee Gardener

Ratings:
    +23
    I probably need either a small tree or a small length of hedging to act as a security feature along part of my garden boundary. The area is quite shady, near the house wall, but faces west and so would potentially receive some warmth and light during late afternoon to evening.

Having done some research, I think some variety of Ilex would be best. The soil is naturally sandy and fairly free-draining.

The main thing is that I need a fast-growing shade tolerant (especially when younger) Ilex which will not grow too wide.

I might need only one or maybe a short hedge ( about 10 foot wide by 10 foot tall).

The birds would love it and it would help secure my boundaries, but I would be grateful for your thoughts, pros and cons etc.

Berries would be good, so either self-pollinating or I could plant two or more plants.

The main thing is: prickly, shade tolerant and not massive.

Thankyou for suggestions and thoughts/experiences.

2. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,133
    Holly would suit that situation @ClematisDbee but it can be slow to get going. Another option, which is also prickly and shade tolerant is Berberis darwinii. It has glossy green leaves, orange flowers in spring and berries which blackbirds love. I inherited one here, it gets just morning sun and is in sandy soil. It's easy to maintain as a shrub or hedge, if you wear gloves :).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,297
      As well as Berberis @Plantminded mentions, Pyracantha will also look good with its green leaves and berries which you can choose between red, orange and yellow.

Both can be kept in shape by pruning one or twicea year, but get yourself a pairs of hide Welders gauntlets, about £5 screwfix etc , as both their thorns are truly evil !