I'm New and Looking For Advice/Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sandra, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Sandra

Sandra Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I've come to you looking for some advice.

I am planning on making a little 'garden' at my dads grave starting off with some bamboo roll and pebbles left from my own garden. When I say little it will be as wide as the plot and about 30-50cms deep/long.

I have a pile of crocus bulbs. I like the thought of planting these in so they will come up next spring.

I need some advice on what else I could plant there. I do not visit there all too often so need something that is quite good at looking after itself (if there is something). It needs to be something that won't grow too high too. I love purple and blue flowers so that would be a bonus. I also like the idea of something that will be green all year round.

I kind of want to be able to do it all at once if I can, ie: planting the crocuses and any other plants at the same time. Will I be better to wait until autumn so the crocuses are planted at the right time?

Hopefully I have made some sense and I look forward to your replies

Kind regards

Sandra.

2. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    How about an evergreen azalea or dwarf rhododendron? They are pretty self sufficient once established and you can choose which flower colour you want. I've got one which was planted by the previous owners of my house is still no higher than 50 cm and it's been here at least 7 years.

You might like Azalea Konigstein which has beautiful purple flowers in spring, and which is hardy but only grows to 50 - 75 cm high after 10 years.

I know nuffink about flowers though, sorry :DOH:

ETA : Autumn is a good time to plant Azaleas too.

3. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Sandra, you will need to check with the Church what they allow as many do not allow the development of gardens on the plots as they like to mow right across the graves. If you were a really regular visitor to the plot and prepared to make sure it did not run wild then there probably wouldn't be a problem. Certainly putting crocus underneath the grass is often permissable so that the grass will be left whilst they are in bloom but I would certainly check with the church first as to what they allow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,126
      Hi & Welcome to GC Sandra.. I am sorry about your Dad, but it is certainly nice if you can make the grave look pretty, there are however somethings you need to take into account first to avoid upset & pain later...
      Moyra is making a very valid point..
      Allot of them do have restrictions about what you can do or plant on or at grave sides mainly because of the mowing people, but also because people do plant them up & then only visit once a year.. In that time the graves can become overgrown with weeds etc, as well as the plants themselves & look sadly forgotten then, even though it was planted lovingly it...
      It will be the Church if in the churchyard, or the Parish Council, you will need to contact if the grave is in your cemetery area..

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      Have you considered Honesty? Its a native flower that looks after itself and has lovely purple flowers, followed by very decorative almost transparent large flat seed pods. It grows about 30cm high I think.