I'm really upset

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Vince, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    The urban foxes really went to town on my veggie plot last night, most of my plot is ruined, carrots destroyed, a few parsnips left (for how long), tomatoes gone, potatoes flattenened, brassicas lying on edge........ and by law I'm unable to do anything about it? .... I can't kill a fox!

Drastic action needed I think, repellants don't work (I've tried), so it's down to the ugly solution, my dogs!

Me and a few of "my" boys will be camping out tonight, if any fox ventures into our garden tonight it WILL be an ex fox!

Sorry if I offend anybody but urban foxes ARE VERMIN and which stupid government gave them protected status

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Pete02

Pete02 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Vince,
    yes you can kill foxes, but don't try using a shotgun in north London
    you'll have an armed police response team climbing your fence :lollol:
    I symperthise with you. if your dogs are in the garden it won't be your
    fault if your dogs grab a fox, even if the dogs don't get one it might put
    them of coming back I used to work on a farm so were able to
    shoot the bloody things. a lot of people think they are lovely cuddly
    creatures, I know better, it wasn't unusual to lose 12/15 chickens in a
    fox raid and not one was taken for food, they are loathesome things.
    hope you get them.

Pete

4. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Hi Vince

So sorry to hear about all the damage to your crops.:(

Forgive me for being an ignorant townie (unlike you North Londoners!), but why would foxes flatten a vegetable garden? Is it 'collateral damage' which gets done when they're moving around? I presume they're not new-age veggie foxes who are trying to get their five a day?

5. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Hey Vince.

Actually, it's only the ceremonial torture of foxes that is banned, really. I don't think anyone who loves nature could argue with that, to be honest.

6. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hello Vince. So sorry for your problems. I think you just have to deal with it whatever way you can.

Hello ClaraLou. The foxes don't come in with the deliberate intent of flattening a vegetable garden. They just flatten it while they're there because they haven't read the book that says stick to the paths. They just trample everything while they do what they are doing.

In my last garden I had deer. Apart from what they ate (everything) they trampled all over everything. They didn't know about paths, and foxes are just the same.
    Hope you can find a solution Vince

7. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Tally Ho!

A guy living a few streets away keeps chickens and has lost several to city foxes. Dude has built himself a massive log cabin at the bottom of the garden so he can sleep out (in some luxury it must be said) during the summer months to protect his birds from foxes.

He has a sonic gun and a series of trip wires!

Do you have access to dog pee? Mark the territory. Failing that, get yourself a paintball gun or a cross bow.

I shall start a pre-emptive 'Save Vince' Facebook campaign group for when the RSPCA cart you off.

8. Vince

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    I didn't camp out but I did let my "boys" pee around the perimeter of my veg plot before retiring to bed, the dogs are generally banned from the veg plot so it was a great adventure for them and they pee'd copiously ;)

No more fox damage last night although they were about ransacking the recycle bins:(

Oh, it's definitely foxes, paw prints and fur to prove it!

Someone mention RSPCA? What a waste off space they are, don't get me started on that topic, they actually kill more dogs than they save!!!!!!

9. Vince

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Appendum, Hi Pete02, I used to work on a farm in the early '70's and culling of foxes was the norm?

Foxes kill for thrill as much as for food, as I've stated, VERMIN!

I've also double checked and I'm afraid I'm unable to shoot, snare, trap, hunt with dogs, stab or poison foxes within my current boundaries, I can't gas them either...............

I don't suppose too many people will be watching our garden in the early hours of the morning so shooting with a high velocity air rifle may be the answer?

10. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I`m not certain, but I don`t think it`s the policy of this site to condone illegal activities.:gnthb:

11. bobandirus

bobandirus Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm sure a pitfall trap isn't illegal. And then get pest control around. Just a thought?

12. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    I can see why gardeners get upset when their plots are trashed by foxes. However, we have urban foxes living in a disused shed next door and so far they haven't caused any problems at all other than making a bit of a racket at night and leaving the odd pong. Early this morning I found a little fox in my garden which was busily hoovering up slugs. So far, so good. Anyway, I don't think I can prevent them from getting in - this particular animal jumped a six foot fence with the ease of a cat.

13. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    This is not a pitfall trap.:gnthb: