Improved clay - update

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PeterS, Oct 21, 2007.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    A little while ago I showed you my front garden being dug over under the 'Improved Clay' thread. And I said that I would leave it to lie fallow till the spring. Well, there is only one force greater than the desire for gardening perfection, and that is - impatience. After looking at it for 10 days, I decided I couldn't wait.

[​IMG]

So I bought 60 foot of log roll and a couple of tons of 20 mil gravel, and started on the hard landscaping. The object was to have mostly plants, so the gravel circle was simply for access rather than as a feature in its own right.

[​IMG]

Luckily I had a few plants left that I was going to use for another purpose.

[​IMG]

So I started planting. It took about 350 plants in all. Virtually all of them grown from seed or by division, with a couple saved from the previous layout. The planting is not neccessarily final. The great thing about perennials is that you can dig them up at a later date and move them around. Many of them are old border favorites :- Aster, Astrantia, Campanula, Eupatorium, Foxgloves, Geraniums, Helenium, Hesperis, Lupins, Lychnis coronaria, Salvia sclarea, Verbena bonariensis etc. but a few are new to me (grown from seed, but not yet seen in flower) :- Amsonia, Francoa, Galega, Roscoea

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,365
    Fantastic job [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

You're making my back ache again :D

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Love it looks great well done PeterS.

4. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    wow peter. makes my bit of gravel stuff with pots look rubbish - i still love mine though!
    what's your back garden like? have i missed a thread?
    regards
    sandra

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Peter youve worked so hard, its going to be fabulous next year [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Many thanks everyone for your kind words.

[​IMG]

borrowers - this is a picture of the back garden. Not the best photo as it was taken through a window. But it gives an idea. The same sort of style of perennials and gravel. Very simple, and pretty low maintenance.