IMPULSE BUY - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Feb 19, 2011.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,843
    I've done it again! i went out on the weekly shopping expedition and came back with a plant I know nothing about - a citrus tree [Lemon]. I guess I bought it as a challenge, as if life isn't challenge enough. Anyway I would be deeply in somebody's debt if they could give me the benefit of their expertise and knowldege. I also received 200 snowdrops by mail order yesterday to bolster a patch of them under my Acer Brilliantassimum so I'm on a high!!

2. Spotlandman

Spotlandman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    RE: IMPULSE BUY - HELP111

Well don't know much about Citrus but as far as I know they are frost tender so will need a frost free home in winter, should be OK outside in the summer but may not set fruit in anything less than a good summer. Seem to remember they prefer rainwater rather than tap water.

have fun with the snowdrops plant them any time it's dry enough to work outside

3. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,843

Thanks for that. I'm also going to have to pot the Citrus tree on at some stage and need to know what's the best compost recipe for that. It's got big lemons on it now and there's new flowers as well. I've never grown one of these before and I don't want to make a pig's ear out of it! So any tips on cultivation would be appreciated!

The forecast for our area isn't too bad for tomorrow so I'm planning to get the Snowdrops in while clearing the borders.

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352

Hi

I have a sweet & sour mini orange, been in the cold greenhouse all winter with a wrap of fleece, some leaves have died , but looks ok condidering the minus 10 we had for 3 days.

I have had mine 4 years I potted on with John innes no 3 plus added more grit I add grit to every compost even when I make up my own mix, in May lives on the patio table full sun whole of the summer and regulary pinch out the growing tips to keep it bushy I have had fruit every year , the secret I have found is the feeding I use a summer Citrus food then a winter one (only September & October) with the winter food , then into the green house before the first frost and only keep it slightly wet or nearly dry.

Hope this helps

ps mine was a a impulse as well from a big danish shop plus we had them xmas with dessert I soaked them in brandy for 6 weeks.

Spruce

5. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,843

Thanks Spruce. I really appreciate the advice and help from yourself and Spotlandman. It's great to be able to ask questions and know someone is going to help you out. I try not to give in to impulse buying but this offer was too hard to resist [but then they always are!]. The trouble is there's the same offer on the mini orange trees too - and you know what's going to happen!!

6. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352

OCD Tthats what I think I have with gardening, get it home and think I can fit it ooohhh just the spot LOL

Like I said in a earlier thread I can see what going to happen with starting with day lily's, like I did with agapanthus, monarda, hosta's, tree peony's now that cost me £££ , you will have a grove soon if your anything like me.

I went to a suposed Rare plant fair I had more choice in mine LOL

I rescued a red hot pocker from mums old garden before she moved she got it in the 1960's "Springtime" I cant find one nursery that sells that any more I am building it up at the moment to split next year.

Spruce

7. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,843

My greenhouse stays just above freezing due to a solar panel system I've rigged up but I wouldn't trust it during these last severe winters we just experienced. So in my kitchen I've got 2 Banana trees, 5 Palms, 4 18* pots of Canna's, and now a Citrus tree to boot! It's a large kitchen but it still feels like cooking in the jungle!!
    And it'll be even more so if I succumb to the temptation of the Orange Tree!!

8. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5

I have the same problem of impulse buying... but mine is with packets of seeds. I cant help but pick up a packet if they are something Im not familiar with, or look easy to grow for my garden.

I think its a kind of illness we suffer from :WINK1: :thumbsup:

9. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0

I've got 11 lemon trees from seed that are doing very well. Not done anything special with them apart from feeding with a bit of home made liquid feed.

10. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5

Sorry if this sounds like im being a lemon :WINK1: , but were they seeds out of a shop purchased lemon?

11. Musa Monkey

Musa Monkey Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

Some citrus can cope with temps below freezing. Eureka lemon for instance is said to cope down to -5c I have one myself along with a Navelina Orange which is also good for -5c although i have not tested this as they are moved into the greenhouse to over winter.

I also have a grapefruit which was a freebie, all the above have now survived a couple of seasons
    overwintering in the greenhouse at a minimum of 3c.

I feed with baby bio citrus food mainly because a local shed was flogging it off at 25p a bottle a while back :) when repotting i use a general purpose compost, sharp sand and vermiculite mix in a ratio of circa 70, 10, 20 which gives good drainage. These are all patio plants circa 4ft tall.

12. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Yep, all out of the same Lemon. Not holding out for any fruit, as the ones you buy from nurseries are grafted.

Might get some sort of "Crab Lemon":DOH:
    [hr]
    Do I ? Must have eaten too many of them then.:heehee:

13. Musa Monkey

Musa Monkey Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

:heehee::heehee::heehee:

14. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,843
    Oh B..... I knew I succumb! I've just been out and bought the Orange Tree in the special offer to go along with the Lemon Tree!! Gardening is so addictive!

15. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +54,115
    There's something very satisfying about impulse buying, especially when it's a bargain. Even better when the plant does well.

Just before Christmas I bought Jasmine Stephanense for a pound in Tesco's. A healthy looking plant but I'm holding off planting it out because of the weather. :)