Impulse buys?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Doghouse Riley, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    A couple of weeks ago, we'd visited a garden centre for a few bits and my wife saw this albertine rose, which she liked, so I bought it for her not having any idea where to put it as we're running out of space.
    On the way to the checkout I spotted this piece of trellis and knew instantly where it was going.
    Of course it was sod's law, that either the lamp or the trellis could be positioned centrally in the panel, so the lamp had to be moved to fit in a gap in the trellis.

A "squirrel protector" was later required. They can't dig in the patio pots so started here.

[​IMG]

2. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Nice rose you've got there, Doghouse. It certainly looks like a good healthy specimen.

3. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Nice n healthy... but doesn't look much like an Albertine... which has quite strong pink flowers, with coppery shades on the outer petals. Have you got a close up of one of those flowers?

And what's the metal grid round the base... make sure that doesn't cut into the stem as it grows.

4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413

We've three roses all tagged as Albertine which are a creamy white, fading to pink, but all of different shades, purchased from different garden centres. Another which starts off white and then goes a deeper pink. Oh yes and a fourth which turned out a deep red (mail order, they're sending us a replacement in October).
    That's stiff wire mesh to stop the squirrels digging near the roots. I cut bits if the middle out to make sure it doesn't get too near the stems and allows for growth.

Edit.

Here's a close-up. I'm afraid the blooms are past their best.

[​IMG]

This is one in a tub on the step by our front door. I'd say that was a "true" Albertine, but the flash of the camera has bleached out much of the pink. Both have those deep green foliage.

[​IMG]

I've long been suspicious of garden centre labelling of plants in their dormant season. We had to take another rose back to Bents last week which we bought two years ago. It produced blooms of red and white and neither were what it was supposed to be. So they gave us a full credit off our other purchases that day. I always keep receipts for plants.

5. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Perhaps that the only way to guarantee that a rose is the one on the label, it's to buy it from somewhere like Peter Beales Roses or David Austin? Of course, I realise that each plant costs a little more, but at least it should give some peace of mind.