In Praise of Gorilla Tubs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Rhyleysgranny, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have always found flower pots irritating. They are Ok for small things but getting into specimens the large tubs easily bought and reasonably priced are still the same basic shape narrowing at the bottom. They look bigger than they are. I have a Rhododendron Yakushanamum which I have in a container on top of the septic tank cover. I had it in a large pot but because of the narrowing it wasn't adequate. I wanted to repot it this year. I hit on the idea of gorilla tubs. Off to B&Q. Hubby drilled holes in it and it is now potted up in a dark green one which cost less than a fiver. It's a lovely shrub. Flowers very early and has all shades of pink, providing there is no frost.

[​IMG]

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    What are 'gorrilla tubs'?

3. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Lovely Rhodo and place in the garden, Granny.

We have those here, not sure of their real purpose and get them in the 'cheapie' stores. I just call them 'rubber pots or tubs' as they are very flexible and we do the same thing, drill holes in the bottom. They retain moisture well. Like you, they are about a fiver here ... so depending on the exchange rate .... :dh:

5. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I thought they would retain the moisture well so i am glad you said that Victoria. They originated for use on building sites I believe. I have pink ones for laundry baskets. I will get some more as I have shrubs I am growing to plant when I get my pond back. It's fenced off because of the grandchildren and has turned into a wilderness:hehe: but I have been growing shrubs so they are quite mature when eventually planted.

6. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    As ideas go this is way up the list. I have one for weeding duties. HID has one for laundry. Just did not think to use it as a planter
    robert

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Great idea, if the tub is hidden like you've done. It looks very effective and interested to hear they retain moisture too.

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Would you believe GorillaTub.com ? :) Reasonably flexible plastic buckets in all sorts of sizes, which I tend to thing of as Trugs - although not shaped like a trug.

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Although ... I wonder how long they will last "outdoors" - compared to a black plastic pot with UV inhibitor? (big ones are blinking expensive though ...)

10. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Mine are not an actual Gorilla Tubs but el-cheapo (€5 each) and in their fourth year of full sun all day up on a first floor deck with no reprise from the sun, one with a Washingtonia and another with a Phoenix Canary Palm. I wouldn't think mine has a UV inhibitor in it and so far no signs of stress. :thumb:

Because it sits on wood, the holes are drilled around the side about 4-5cms up to retain more moisture and then sitting in clay saucers. Both are 42cms across.

11. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    We have four of them all in bright colours although I think they are the B & Q cheaper versions, not used them for planting in far too busy filling them with weeds and cuttings.

Good idea to use as planters I must admit but worth they weight in gold to us as carriers of the dreaded weeds! :hehe:Hel.xxx.

12. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Mine are from B&Q. I call them gorilla tubs cos that is what I know them as from my builder brother-in-law.

13. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Excellent idea. I've seen them around, I just didn't know them as gorilla tubs, and had never thought to use them as planters.

14. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Its a good idea granny, I've got some for weeding and lugging stuff around in. I'll try them next year for my early spuds, the handles will make it easier to carry them out the greenhouse than my current container.

15. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I read about some contains for potatoes that have "little doors" in the side - I reckon that would be a good gadget for growing early spuds so you can reach in and harvest only the ones that are ready :thumb: