Indifferent taste to me Rocket spuds.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bob flemming, May 25, 2011.

1. Bob flemming

Bob flemming Gardener

Professional wall and floor tiler.
    Ratings:
    +1
    Morning all,I picked my first rockets last night and after cooking as normal sat down to have with salad.
    To my suprise they tasted very different to my previous attempts,some where ok just but others tasted awful if i'm honest.

Could it be they are not properly developed they did look smallish and the skins where very white,could it be the feed,phostregen once a week or could it just be a bad batch of seeds?

Interested to know if any one else has experienced this or has a clue to my dodgy tater taste.
    Many thanks Bob.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Did you perhaps also harvest the original seed tuber? For First Early they are often not "mushy" (which they will be for, for example, Main Crop by the time they are harvested)

3. Bob flemming

Bob flemming Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Kristen, No I always dispose of the original tuber,can't imagine that tasting good.
    I'm at a loss to understand my poor tasting rockets,I have been growing these for years with no problem,just hoping it was the first few I pulled that are no good.
    Gutted!

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That is a mystery Bob, did you grow them from seed potatoes or were they ones you saved ?

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    I still say if dug too early, new spuds taste awful.

Even shop bought ones (Cornish) are not that good at the moment.

I'd say leave them another couple of weeks.

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I would put it down to 1/ very dry weather and 2/ because of dry weather, dug too early.:thumbsup:

7. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Have been digging our Rockets up for about a week to 10 days now; normally they're ready around the beginning of June so definitely early this year.

Ours have tasted fantastic; they are mostly somewhere between a golf ball and tennis ball size and there weren't many immature ones on the plants so I know the timing was right.

Although I watered them regularly the soil was very dry about a 1ft down, which in one way made things a lot easier, they barely needed cleaning.

Why yours tasted diferently I don't know, it's a difficult one, we have suffered like everyone else with drought and ours are fine. All I fed ours was chicken manure pellets dug in to the soil before planting and a few liquid feeds of seaweed extract and I earthed ours up twice.

???

8. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,991
    My rocket spuds have been really tasty. Started harvesting them just after they flowered about 3 weeks ago.

Did your's flower Bob?

9. Bob flemming

Bob flemming Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies,everyone.
    The taters are from new seeds,watered and fed regulary,they had barely flowered when I picked the offending spuds but are now in full flower,so I am assuming I picked them too early........I will keep you informed of my next batch I pull and give you the verdict.

10. Bob flemming

Bob flemming Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,Update from my foul tasting taters.
    I have dug some more up and eaten,to my delight the rotten almost like cat p1ss taste has disapeared and they now taste as good as previous years,hurrah!
    So I am putting the problem down to pulling them to early,more patience required in future!!
    Thanks all Bob.

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Cheers for the update Bob:dbgrtmb:

Let that be a warning to us all.

Glad they've improved.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,991
      Glad they have improved Bob. Not had any problems with my Rocket, the tops are starting to die off now and they are still very tasty.