Indoor wormery

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Katkatkat, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Katkatkat

Katkatkat Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Most of our rubbish is food scraps as we recycle everything else so I've been contemplating getting a wormery. We live in a top floor flat and my garden is a 15-20 minute walk away so for practicality, I'd need to keep it in the house.

Is it ok to keep them indoors?
    Do they smell?
    Will the worms escape?
    Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

2. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    Personally I would prefer it on an outside balcony.

Have you considered placing it at the rear of the block, giving instructions to other block users on what to put in. Community involvement.
    You'll get it full quicker and then claim the results for your garden.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,984
    Katkatkat, I think a better idea is a Bokashi bucket like this:
    Use Bokashi Bins to compost your kitchen waste. Bokashi Bins use a mixture of bacteria, fungi and yeasts to compost kitchen waste including meat, fish, fruit and vegetable waste. Bokashi Bins are supplied in pairs and will easily handle the kitchen w

I've no experience of using them, but read on some other forums of people using them in flats with some success.

(PS: I'm not advocating that web site, it just popped up when I searched for Bokashi)

4. blacksmith

blacksmith Gardener

Ratings:
    +147
    lots of examples on youtube about it, I can't see why you can't have a small wormery in the house, the lid can be air tight if you leave enough space at the top and you can transfer the contents to your garden periodically. A good wormery gives of very little smell anyway if fed correctly

5. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
  6. daisyflower

daisyflower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi im new here and also interested in a wormerey

i have had a look at the website that was suggested bit pricy !!

i see that there are many other types of wormery, any experiences of them ?

7. Katkatkat

Katkatkat Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the advice, it appears our area is now included in the councils food recycling scheme so I think I'll just go with that for the time being, I don't get the lovely stuff for my garden but it'll be a lot less hassle.

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Keep an eye on the councils website, as our one does an annual giveaway of the compost they've made from it, a good source of cutlery, teapot lids etc.

9. chipmunk

chipmunk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well I've no experience with this, as such but I did for a while (partially unintentional, just the poor guy was malnourished and not fed well) have morio worms breed on me and since they are livefood for my bearded dragon, really they were indoors.

I would suggest if costs are what is worrying you then you could look at treating as though from a livefood perspective as initially googling them, livefood care seems cheaper without huge differences.

They will not smell if you clean them out somewhat on their own but the food stuffs can, anything undigested could cause smell. I would look to see if there is a space such as balcony or agree with other tennants to keep right outside etc. It's not too often for them to escape but they can and if they do you'll be finding the blighters crop up everywhere for a week.

You can store them in a plastic container, a small bin with a covering. Air tight lids need to be pierced though before it's okay to use. They are easy and generally hassle free to use :)