Information required ...

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Michael Hewett, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +19,312
    I've got two laptops

If I go to the 'settings' page, and then 'system' and 'nearby sharing' I can see written "Share files photos and links with nearby windows devices"

I would like to know if I check the 'My devices only' box, will I be able to see the tabs open on one laptop, on the other laptop as well.
    And will this be true for photos too - will the ones downloaded to one laptop appear on the other one as well.

NB I don't understand computer talk so please write any answers in non-computer-person words :biggrin:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    Just a thought, but it looks like a bluetooth thing or via Wi Fi, take no notice of me I'm just thinking aloud,

• Like Like x 1
    • DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,469
      @Michael Hewett I don't use it, but it's file sharing, bit like being on the same network. I'm assuming you are using Windows10 and Edge as your browser for the internet. The file sharing is a Windows thing (not only Windows do this). To share tabs or have access to the same tabs shared across your devices you can do so by signing in to a Microsoft account (sorry I also don't do this, but do have such). Most browsers (software giving access to internet) have similar functionality whereby they use the cloud (via an account) to sync your data e.g. bookmarks, passwords etc. It depend on what you are trying to do, you may not need such if it's something more simple. I'm sure there are more people here who will be happy to try to help.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Michael Hewett

Retired
        Ratings:
        +19,312
        I've got windows 11
        The drop down menu from the star (top right of screen) shows the same pages on both laptops, so if I save a page on one laptop it is also saved on the other, and I was wondering if this would happen with tabs that are open as well.

EG if I open a Gardeners Corner tab on one laptop would it be open on the other one too.
        I would find it handy because I have one laptop upstairs and one downstairs and I forget what's open on each.

• DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,469
        No @Michael Hewett . I don't use Windows11 (sticking to 10 for now), but sure what you are saying is the same on both. I'm guessing the star is favourite bookmarks whilst you are in Edge. I think it only syncs the favourites , but I'll have a poke about now I know what you are after... I suspect you possibly can sync the browser over multiple devices...

• Informative Informative x 1
        • DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,469
          Quick look at this Microsoft page indicates it's limited what you can do. I don't want to play around with it by signing in and sync data as I trust no online cloud cr@p. There might be a work around, but that would involve shutting Edge on 1 pc with all taba open and the opening Edge on the other. There is funcctionality in Edge to open it, right click on the single open tab and open the previously closed window, this will open all the old tabs... Messy, and may not be available across devices...

EDIT:
          This link here would indicate you possibly can.... Okay its a mobile with a laptop, but it should be the same - complex for some I'm afraid.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
        • Michael Hewett

Retired
          Ratings:
          +19,312
          Thank you @DiggersJo I've had a look at that page and it talks about a phone, which I haven't got, and it would be too complicated for me anyway so I think I'll manage as I am ...
          Thanks for your help.

• Agree Agree x 1