Injectable antibiotics

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by redstar, Jul 17, 2009.

1. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    [​IMG]

Phantom, one of our cats, seen here last snowy day--pretty picture.
    Anyway, he's been having hacking congestive cough. Not one to run to the vet right way, don't want to antibiotic them, see if their wbc's and other natural immune systems can take care of it. But, seemed like enough was enough. So took him to the vet. Now they have injectable antibiotics for pets. Goes in in the in the skin area, and delivers antibiotics for 2 weeks to the animal. No more grabbing him and the usual stress hoping the pill goes down at the same time dodging the claws and mangling the relationship. Its a little pricey, but when you compare it to, twice a day stress for two weeks, its worth every penny.
    And right now, he looks so peaceful sleep.
    One other thing---crazy, said to the vet----he had the same thing about 2 years ago, so we looked at his record --sure enough on July 17, 2007 he was in for congestive cough hacking.
    And took him in this year July 16, 2009, -----go figure. :scratch:

So, if you have not heard of this---its a good thing.

2. SAM82

SAM82 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, injectable antibiotics have been around for a long time, its just alot of vets choose not to use / prescribe them because of the cost. For alot of animals there are definite advantages of using the injectable antibiotics.

Baytril is a common broad spectrum antibiotic used and is in tablet, oral suspension and injectable form. :thumb:

3. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    The vet did mention, they wondered if they would stock it because of the cost to them. But said they have not had a bottle expire yet, so they will keep it on hand. This is the first I've known it available for pets.

4. SAM82

SAM82 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    maybe it is different in the US then? I know they have been available in the UK for several years.
    :thumb:

5. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    I know that next time mine have to go to the vet I will be asking him to give them the injection. As you said redstar the cost is well worth the amount of stress that it will reduce to both the cat and ME!! I SO hate having to try and medicate either of my 2. They just don't understand you are trying to help them and I don't really want either of them ending up not trusting me so I figure let the vet be the mean man!! I love my pusskids........k-l

6. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    Thats it Catztail the trust issue. Right now one is due his flea drops. If I unwrap it away from him he won't figure it out, but he hates getting them, and I guess he views me as the bad person, I only do them for the guys every other month. Whats a mother to do.