1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Insects in my lawn

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by anya, Apr 19, 2018.

1. anya

anya Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello everyone, I’m desperate to get some advise... I’ve got hundreds of this insects (picture) flaying above my lawn. They coming out from the ground. I can see little holes. I’m guessing their larva’s were in my lawn and ruined my grass. It’s very weak and yellowish. I just established this lawn last season so it’s shame seeing it deteriorate. I googled it and can’t find anything which reminds this insects. It’s a mixture between bumblebee, wasp and fly. Black with bit of white. Furry top segments but shiny, black abdomen. How can I get rid of it without destroying grass even more?
    Thanks
    Anya

Attached Files:

2. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,877
    Google

Mining Bee?

Could be wrong

• Like Like x 1
    • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      Could you post a picture of your lawn?
      Tell us a bit more about your lawn, how it was laid and when it started to show signs of stress.
      I can say that your lawn is not being harmed by the bees but you have another issue going on.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +9,233
        It does sound like a mining bee to me.

I have lots of them in parts of my grass. They are solitary bees, where a female digs (or mines) a hole, where she lays eggs. They are NOT harming your lawn. After all, holes = aeration, and are v similar to the holes we are supposed to make to improve the health of the lawn!
        The areas of my grass where there are lots of mining beds are where the "soil" is pure sand, and there are no nutrients for the grass to grow.

What is your soil type? Sand? Clay? Loam? If you turn over a patch of soil, do you have any other signs of life in the soil? Worms? Ants? Beetles? Whereabouts are you? (It helps if we know what sort of winter you've had...cold, wet, snow, dry, etc)

You say that you established the lawn last year. Did you do this with seed, or turf? How did you prepare the ground before you "added" the grass? What time of year did you do this? How did it look at the end of last season?

Sorry about all the questions, but it helps to know the full picture, so we can help with your problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • anya

anya Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +2
          32082B36-793A-45AF-A537-2D7A39BBC05E.jpeg 89C4E5EC-F7A9-4BF8-9BD8-300E341632AD.jpeg 89C4E5EC-F7A9-4BF8-9BD8-300E341632AD.jpeg 32082B36-793A-45AF-A537-2D7A39BBC05E.jpeg

Hello, thank you for taking time to answer. I’m in Wiltshire, Swindon. Unfortunately it’s clay and clay and more clay. I love gardening but I’m slowly giving up because soil is terrible and damp suits slags and snails to bread in my garden and feed on my plants.
          Anyways, I did my lawn with seeds (two types). One came out stronger than the other but now I can’t tell difference as both of them look yellowish. I put some soil down and special starter mix (don’t remember now what it was) and I did it quite late, I think October 2016. It came out lovely and following summer we had beautiful juicy grass. So this is its second spring and it’s definitely weakening.
          Also you were all correct, it is mining bee. Once I got name from you I googled photos and images match my offenders. Lol of course bees are more than welcome in my garden. You can see little aerating holes on pictures. I fed my grass with lawn feed let’s hope it will get stronger and better.
          We do have loads of crane fly in autumn...maybe their larva’s? To be honest it’s like a mini zoo here, you name it, I have it haha!
          Regards
          Anya

P.s. One photo is from last year just to show you how nice the grass was.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
            Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
          • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,259
            Hi, thanks for the photos.
            Can I ask if you planted the daffs or are they what remains of an old border?
            We have had one very wet winter but did you notice a lot of standing water on the top of the lawn?
            First thought was it looks like it’s been damaged due to a long period of standing water but it could have been a turf related disease or a combination of the two.

How about the grass next door, is it the same or is it just yours?

• Like Like x 1
            • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
              Ratings:
              +6,097
              Hello Anya. Actually Mining Bees are very useful in the garde. However there are methods of getting rid of the. Online. Take a look at. How to get rid of mining bees.

Looking at your photos, I can't imagine these little creatures causing so much damage to your grass. If I may offer a few tips. The correct mixture of grass seed is most important. For a lawn/grass area that might be subjected to a fair amount of wear, then the mix should contain Rye grass, chewings fescue and Canadian brown top. Such a mixture will go along with varying types of soil. Sadly many folk become disillusioned when their long dreamed of 'bowing green' lawn turns out quite different. The soil has to be considered.

Returning to your photos. It looks as if you are in the process of scarifying the area or cutting the grass using a strimmer. No offence meant.

• Like Like x 1
              • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                +17,487
                Anya,
                I think birds have made your lawn extra messy by pecking, digging and scratching it :smile:
                I think leatherjackets too may have contributed to its condition........they can do an awful lot of damage from autumn through winter.....nematodes will control them :)

• Like Like x 1
                • anya

anya Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2
                  #Verdun
                  No birds only rake! Lol I’ve given it good brush to get rid off dry grass but my bees causing me fair damage.

• anya

anya Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2
                  Mike,
                  I might have a look how to force my bees out of my garden. Kids not to keen and their aerating holes taken over my lawn.

If this lawn not going to survive I’ll definitely take on your advise in choosing the right grass, thank you.
                  And yes, soil in this area caused me nothing by disappointment. So much of my hard work goes to waste...but I’m not giving up!

I don’t use strimmer, lawn mower yes. I’ve given it good rake too. No offence taken
                  Thank you
                  Anya

• martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
                  +10,302
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • anya

anya Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2

Just googled nematodes!! Can’t believe I haven’t found it before! Great advise, thank you. Just ordered it for slugs and in August will get more for crainfly! Brilliant, thanks again

• Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
                    +957
                    The bees aren't causing the damage, you should value & make use of their benefits. Extra pollination on crops etc, you will have plenty of fruit and veg for the Summer. Bees are in danger and need all our help.

• martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
                    +10,302
                    The OP doesn't say there location, reading about the bees they live in dry soil maybe the grass is suffering through lack of water ?,

The solution to get rid of the bees was to water the ground worth trying bees will go and see if the grass improves while doing so.

• Like Like x 1
                    • anya

anya Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                      +2

• Like Like x 1