1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. November Photo Comp is now open with a great new theme.! Come and join in.
    Dismiss Notice

Inspiration for concrete back yard

Discussion in 'How To ..........' started by Laura Robinson, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Laura Robinson

Laura Robinson Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have recently moved into a ground floor flat. The yard is an open plan concrete complex (no soil what so ever) and I wanted to add some life. I am a beginner at gardening and was hoping this would be a fantastic place to discuss idea's.

To date I have thought of buying potted plants that can sustain the cold british weather all years around (if possible) my attention was directed to something similar to a "bay tree"....

Any idea's would be much appreciated please send me your ideas :-)

Conditions:
    Receives moderate sunlight (3-4 hrs a day) picture included

Attached Files:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener

Ratings:
    +19,884
    Welcome to the forum Laura.

Well you certainly have a blank canvas there!

Pots are not your only choice, maybe you can build a raised bed against that back wall?

I think you also need to get plants on the walls, one of our members was on TV recently and he built a set of shelves to hold a fern collection in pots, I seem to think his garden is a similar to yours:

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/big-dreams-small-spaces-thur-8pm-bbc2.111070/

• Like Like x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +13,393
      For shadey spots in your yard , trailing begonias and Fuchsias take some beating
      Trailing Begonia Illumination will be for sale in garden centres late April ( they must be kept frost free ) about £5 for 4 plants . White , red or apricot shades . Three will fill a large 14" container and flower to November.
      Fuchsias hundreds to chose from trailing and bush type , they do tend to flower late though.
      Supermarkets will have lots of cheap good bedding plants available soon :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2