Insulation for the winter

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by milmar, Dec 25, 2006.

1. milmar

milmar Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have in the past few months taken over an allotment which has a 20' x12' shed and a small greenhouse. Should I be insulating the shed and the green house with bubble wrap or other materials, any advice would be appreciated. I have only lettuce in the buidings at the moment. :confused:

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Insulation in your shed will make quite a big difference to your comfort when working in it milmar. I used sheets of polystyrene in mine and whenever I found a big bit I stuck it on. It also helps cut down on draughts.
    Bubble wrap in the GH will help reduce heat loss, keep it a little bit warmer over the winter months and reduce any heating costs if you decide to heat it in early Spring. It won't keep it entirely frost free unless you have some sort of heating, but winter lettuce should survive if you cover them with fleece if hard frost is expected. We over-wintered lettuce last year in an unheated GH and it ws fine.

3. milmar

milmar Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks to Dave W for your advice re insulating my shed and green house, your comments are really useful. have a good new year.

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Milmar, using bubble film in the summer also acts as shading, so a very good investment. David.

5. beanie

beanie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my new threepiece suite came wrapped in a wonderful bubblewrap with another layer of insulater I put it all around my greenhouse and it kept it very warm but in the worst of the frosts I lost three brugmansia cuttings