Interesting Radio Programme

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by NigelJ, Sep 28, 2016.

1. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,566
    I have just been listening to Costing the Earth on Radio 4 about the change in growing season since the 60's, very interesting and may be of interest to others. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07wby0l

• Informative Informative x 3
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,091
      Good find.
      Although it may be one month longer I do believe that the quality of that growing season has reduced.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +22,566
        I agree with what Tony Kirkham said about the 4 seasons merging to become 2 seasons and that things were less predictable these days and this tended to make gardening harder in some ways.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,059
          Interesting, just think basing climate change on the last 50yrs or so is being a bit short sighted.

I'm yet to be convinced,:biggrin:
          I can remember mild winters, I can remember cold winters, and we still get them.
          I can remember late frosts that kill all the blossom.etc.

And that is just in my lifetime, which is nothing compared to the whole scheme of things.

Of course I can only speak of where I live, what is going on in other parts of the world, I cant comment.

All I know is, when we do get a severe weather event, we get the experts saying we need to prepare for more of this, its climate change, be it cold ,wet, hot, windy.

Then then go on to point out that a particular event has been the worst since, 18**.:lunapic 130165696578242 5: