introduction to the forum

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by berarde, Apr 1, 2024.

1. berarde

berarde Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Good afternoon
    We moved a year ago to a village near tadcaster leaving the city behind. Very happy so much calmer, cleaner and good facilities too. Left a cottage style garden but happy to move to a smaller lower care garden.

The new garden is more woodland-like, mature, has been a bit neglected but no major struggles and not too many brambles (not nice things to dig out). There had been a wild spirea which had taken over part of the front and enjoying the challenge of digging out tough stuff, this was so matted that I simply couldn't get it out, the garden fork just couldn't lift it at all, but as the cherry tree in the middle was dead the treeman dealt with it all.

So just a few perennials here now but the back, I'm leaving natural, mower on highest setting, no lawn edging and bark in a bed around a cherry tree where nothing, not even weeds grew.

The bottom is in deep shade and was overgrown with ivy, but so shady I was a bit disappointed but then I saw it as an opportunity for creating a woodland space with bark chips and some ferns etc planting. With a bench in there we can sit there on those days when the heat is too much.

I'm not sure what to grow round the arch though, I don't want ivy and there is enough on the back fence for the insects so any suggestions welcome

garden gc (7).JPG garden gc (1).JPG garden gc (2).JPG garden gc (5).JPG

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    I think you might be better posting on one of the dedicated threads about plant suggestions and site clearance, or similar @berarde . I think this thread is really just for introducing yourself.
    That's the great thing about this forum - sticky threads on various subjects. :smile:

3. Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +47,760
    Hello and welcome to the forums, yes it's best to put things like that in a different thread, that way people will notice it better.

4. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,650
    Thread Moved to this Forum from "The New members Introduction Forum" where it should get more coverage and has it was the initial post with two more posts following on the second and third posts also had to come :smile: