Invasion of green and white fly

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Janet mahay, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +614
    Hi t seems I got an an invasion of white and green fly are they on the increase as never had so many?
    I spayed some of my plants with washing up liquid many times seems to do no good so I was wondering perhaps if I get some ladybirds they might contol them but I have not seen many so I was wondering maybe buy some online but as body bought any lady birds on line ?

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,707
    The white fly and green fly have benefited from the mild winter and general reasonable weather; also lot of soft young growth for them to sink their teeth into.
    Predator numbers generally lag prey numbers by some time. Unless they are special plants, or taking them indoors you could just wait for nature to sort itself out.
    At least you know the plants are clean even if the aphids have a soapy taste.

• Like Like x 1
    • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +55,483
      Only yesterday I discovered them gobbling one of my young Brugmansias and a young Hibiscus. I took off the holey leaves leaving the poor plants quite bare and then sprayed with water with washing up liquid with a little hydrogen peroxide in it as I had read about this mixture last year, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

We too had a very mild winter never going below 6c and I attribute the infestation on that.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,630
      I know we are supposed to wait, step back and wait for the peditors to sort out the problem, but for me often the damage they cause before being sorted out is too much.
      Aphids are relatively easy to kill, white fly not so and if it was me l would get the predator for white fly .
      I think its encarsia a small wasp.

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +614