Invasive sea holly

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by eatonsatcantas, Jun 4, 2011.

1. eatonsatcantas

eatonsatcantas Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello....new to this site. I am trying to find out how best to control sea holly. Everything I seem to read on the internet is how to grow it. My problem is how to stop it growing. 2 years ago we noticed a few plants in the grass and thought them interesting. Now they have spread and spring up everywhere. We are guardian/gardeners for a large property in S.W. France and our boss likes to walk barefoot across the lawn to the pool and these plants are not very nice to tread on. We're digging them up in the walk areas but they really are everywhere now.

Any suggestions? We don't use any chemicals - completely organic.

Thanks,
    Ken

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Ken... Well you will have your work cut out there as the roots go down so far, at least 1m..!! :thud:If you do not want to use chemicals then I think digging seedlings out as soon as you see them appear.. Dead heading any flowers before they can set seed will help.. My friend is organic & she uses these 2 recipes for weed killer which might help you out...

1. 4 fl ozs Lemon juice
    1 litre of white vinegar
    So simply mix the two together in a spray bottle and you have your organic weed killer formula.
    Spot spray it directly on the weeds, being careful not to spray desirable plants & for the most best results the best time to spray is during the heat of the day.. :D

Or & this is my favourite, as it smells nice too... :D

2. A mixture of 9 parts white vinegar and 1 part clove oil. This creates a great non-selective weedkiller perfect for spot treatments (put it in a hand spray bottle & shake periodically while spraying ) on lawns and patios and also larger areas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Cover the area with weed suppressing membrane for a year or two / plant other things through it?

• eatonsatcantas

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for the organic weed killer idea! Lovely. And I cannot cover the area as it is around the main houses and is lawn. We do use cardboard to cover all beds and then put BRF (chipped ramial wood) on top. No weeds and the plants love it.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Mowing the lawn is not killing the sea holly? :scratch:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,679
      One good dose of weed and feed might just sort it out.

But nobody has to know.:WINK1:

• eatonsatcantas

Ratings:
      +0
      Raining, finally, today so have had a good stroll around the grounds. The sea holly has really spread....everywhere. It obviously is not spreading through seed....root spread? I am really depressed as it is taking over and all my efforts to have a decent looking lawn is being undone. I think I may have to resort to some weed and feed product. Any suggestions? We're also talking about around 5 hectares of lawn so I would need a large amount....not a garden center small box of stuff.

Ta
      Ken