Iresine from seed - any tips?

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Angelina, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Angelina

Angelina Super Gardener

Translator/Teacher
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    Last week I bought a packet of iresine seeds. Through the paper, I can see they are minute, probably 8 in total.
    There are no sowing instructions on the packet, however.

My plant propagation literature mentions iresine only in reference to cuttings. :(
    I read all search results on the forum, but found nothing relevant.

Anyone with sowing tips or ideas how to handle them? :)

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    That's how I do it, they root very easily.

Three sites I use for germination advice

Tom Clothier (nothing on that one) Seed Germination Database - Perennials - A to C

B & T - they tend to have generic germination advice at the bottom of the page and then, mixed in with it, a sentence or paragraph of specific info (once you know the format its obvious, but until then it looks like a mess - particularly when the two conflict!!)

They HAVE got some info on Iresine:

iresine search B & T World Seeds

Dave's Garden (the bit under "Seed Collecting" says "Dunno, you tell us" !!) PlantFiles: Detailed information on Beefsteak Plant, Bloodleaf, Chicken Gizzard Iresine herbstii

• Like Like x 1
    • Angelina

Angelina Super Gardener

Translator/Teacher
      Ratings:
      +1,081
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Sorry, I didn't check the individual varieties, just assumed there would be some useful stuff in at least one of them. I've checked now and their aint. :(

I got a few database error messages trying to call up some of them, which is par for the course on that B&T site - but it tends to have some useful information, so worth having in your favourites. You'll need your largest spade with you to help you get to the "meat" when using the site though!

Next time you see an Iresine that you like break a bit off (I won't tell anyone :heehee:) and root it when you get home.

Good luck with the seeds.

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +48,979
        Hi Angelina, Instructions on my packet of 10 Iresine herbstii seeds: "20-25 deg C and needs light to germinate". About half my seeds germinated within 4 days but it's been about a week now and only one more has appeared today, so germination seems a little variable.

:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1