Iris hollandica (Dutch Iris)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PeterS, Nov 5, 2010.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I was having a tidy up today and came across a pot of Iris hollandica. I bought 25 bulbs for 25p back in the spring, planted them in a small pot and as they never did anything, I forgot about them. To my surprise they are now starting to sprout.

Does anyone know anything about them? How do they compare in size and timing with Iris reticulata? And are they truly perennial? I have bought a number of Iris reticulata, which are so pretty but they never come back the next year.

As the 'Shoot' site says each will spread out to 18 inches across, do you think 25 in a 6 inch pot would get crowded. :D

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Nothing is perennial in the everlasting sense! But your irises should last several seasons at the very least. A 6'" pot might be a bit on the small side, even with heavy feeding. I would think a 10" pot would be better and also planting some of the bulbs in one layer, covering it in compost, then planting another layer might be better. You can only try!

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Thanks for the info Armandii. I had rather forgotten about them again. To me, one of the delights of gardening is plant/sow different things and then forget about them. You keep getting surprises. I do hope they come back. I found Iris reticulata most disappointing when it didn't return.

4. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I have to confess that I do delight sitting on the sleepers lining my borders in early spring, with a cup of tea, and looking at the bare soil looking at the hundreds of shoots just showing and trying to remember and guess what each one is! I've really looked forward to certain plants showing and been disappointed when they don't.
    But there's always that little grin that comes when something you've totally forgotten about suddenly makes an appearance! I guess thats why we are gardeners.

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I remember reading in one of Beth Chatto's books, that she never threw any ungerminated seeds away for two years. She says they can still germinate.

I have had that experience with, I think, Rodgersia. I sowed them one spring and they never germinated. So I put the small pot outside and forgot about it. A year later I noticed that they has started to germinate. I think I then forgot to water them and lost them - there is a moral in there somewhere. :P

6. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Yes there is - keep sowing!!