Iris

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Rie, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Rie

Rie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone grown them from seed? Do I have to do anything special, expose them to cold etc or will they be okay just sewed normally. All help gratefully received..thanks. [​IMG]

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Rie,Do you know what sort of Iris plants you have or have you a photo of the Iris so thaa I can see what you have.If you have a look in Members Hobby's and find Kandy's Iris you will see the types of Iris I grow.

A lot of the newer bred Iris plants are Sterile so will not set seed.Any more information would ne a great help ..Ta :cool:

3. Rie

Rie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    These are Iris seeds bought from a seed supplier and mixed, it says on the packet that they might need exposure to cold but I wondered if I could manage without all that . I've already sewn them do you think I should just wait and see and roughly how long for?

4. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Most, if not all Iris seeds need a period of cold to assit germination. You could try putting the seed pot(?) in the Salad compartment of the Fridge for a month, then giving a little heat after that. Otherwise, you will have to leave the pot outside for the weather to do its stuff and wait until spring for any germination.
    I have had very good results from growing Iris from seed, especially I. innominata and its hybrids.

5. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Thanks for that Pal.I just sat and wrote out practically the same thing and lost the whole lot when I went to post it.I was not a happy bunny :(

6. Rie

Rie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I'll put them into the fridge for awhile and see how they do.