1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it a weed? Is it a shrub?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Kim H, May 28, 2017.

1. Kim H

Kim H Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Please can someone advise whether this is a weed or a shrub so I know if it needs to go, even though it probably will do as it doesn't smell too good.

I've gone round and round the Internet and think it's a weed, although doesn't have the same leaves or stems as Hogwart or alike. It has branches and a trunk (or maybe more but don't want to go in too deep in case its poisonous) at the bottom, wide shooting as well as up, but top more green and maybe hollow stems? It's about 8ft tall now! It looks ok but doesn't smell too good so will probably need to go either way, even though it's a good shade for the garden.

Could someone please help identify it.

Many thanks in advance,

Kim

Attached Files:

2. Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +957
    The name escapes me this morning, I know it, I really do :gaah:I know the bees like it and it has berries for the birds in autumn but it's fast growing & part of my hedgerow

3. Kim H

Ratings:
    +0
    Last year it started out as a 2ftish 'oh that looks like weeds and better dig them up soon'. Then it started branching and thought hmmm maybe it's something else. But my 'not so green fingers' have just let it keep growing and now thinking arrhhh as a lot to cut down if it needs to go!

There's no berries on it. Maybe because it's immature?

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
    Ratings:
    +3,269
    • Like Like x 1
    • Kim H

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks Silver surfer, and you Mark56.

Maybe I'll let it stick around then and just keep an eye on the height!

:ThankYou: