Is it a weed?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by MotherGoose, May 27, 2008.

1. MotherGoose

MotherGoose Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  2. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    [​IMG]

Hmmm looks to me like an orchid...maybe early purple? just a guess though

***Edit***
    looked through a couple of my books and then Googled and those leaves look similar to the common spotted orchid (Dactylorhiza fuchsii)

[​IMG]
    Click on it

3. MotherGoose

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, an orchid! the leaves certainly look like the one in your picture. I wonder where it's come from, those lillies have been in that pot for a few years now, I've had the odd weed take up residence with them, but nothing like this. I will leave it be and see what it looks like when it flowers. :)

Thanks for putting the actual picture in your reply, I'll have to figure out how to do that instead of the link.:D

4. Aesculus

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Re: lilies have been there a few years

well orchids take a number of years to get to flowering stage anyway, there may of been some seeds or a maybe a small bulb in the compost or it could of just self seeded :D

5. fred1935

fred1935 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Wild Orchid rescued from a cattle filled field. The leaves now are exactly as yours are.
    Though it's an Orchid don't be dissapointed in it's flower stalk, it's not like the ones you see in the shops which will only grow indoors.

6. Aesculus

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    i think that wild orchids look the prettiest, we have a small patch of grass down near were i live maybe few hundred yards from my house and last year it was teaming with bee orchids :D

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    We are fortunate to have bee orchids growing in our garden. They started to appear three years ago and are gradually spreading. It makes it extremely difficult to mow the lawns but it is worth it :) :thumb:

8. MotherGoose

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to keep it, but not in my pot of lilies.

Does anyone know when would be the best time to remove it, and will it be ok just putting it in the border, or will a pot be better? Do they object to being moved?

I have googled the common spotted orchid and the flowers look lovely. There is a flower spike emerging I will post a photo of it when it blooms.:)

9. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Mother Goose,I have just been looking through my Field Guide to Wild Flowers book and the plant you have that you think is a Bee Orchid{Ophrys apifera} doesn't have spotted leaves.

To me it looks almost like the leaves of a Euchomis seedling as I have some of those in the garden and the leaves are spotted just like those in your photo,but mine are a bit larger and flatter than yours.

Failing that your plant could be a Heath spotted orchid {Dactylorhiza maculata} They like to grow in chalky or nuteral soil.

I should wait until someone with a bit more knowledge than me makes a more definate identification after it has flowered.:)

10. MotherGoose

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

This is the common spotted orchid I think it might be, I'll just have to be patient and wait till it flowers to be sure :)

(fingers crossed I managed to insert the image this time and not the link:D)

11. Aesculus

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    LOL yer it's kind of interesting though what it might turn out to be:D some of the orchids were i live are messed up like not having spots on the leaves or being white instead of pink...

12. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Hi MotherGoose, can't offer any help but will be interested to see what it is. keep us informed.

cheers

13. MotherGoose

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Borrowers, I certainly will keep you all informed (especially since I've sussed out this image posting) :D

It's quite exciting, can't wait to see what comes of it. I do love a freebie:D

14. MotherGoose

Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update on my orchid, it's now flowering so I'm posting a photo of it for everyone to see.
    [​IMG]

I think it's turned out rather nice.

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15