Is it the end or the beginning?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Madahhlia, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    I'm more than likely to be retiring in July, and have felt desperate for it at times over the last few years. However, as it draws closer, I'm having mixed feelings.

First there's some concern about coping financially as my monthly income will drop from low to even lower - still more than some people get, but I'm concerned that it will be miserable watching every penny.

I'm also getting worried about missing work - well, not the actual work, but having colleagues, companionship, fun, camaraderie and all that.

Also, I work in a school, and it's been a bittersweet time, having Christmas fun with the kids, thinking that this'll be the last time for all of that. The last Christmas play, the last party, the last glue and glitter afternoon......I'm amazed I'm getting so sentimental!

I guess I'm beginning to confront the fact that retirement is one of the big milestones of life, the beginning of the end, one might say. Having spent my entire life in a state of extended immaturity doing as many age-inappropriate things as I can think of it is a shock to contemplate this big change.

I always thought I would be immune to retirement angst, having worked part-time for years and having many hobbies and interests I want to pursue. Maybe the dark days of winter are obscuring all of that and when spring comes I'll be away and off!

Anyway, I'm sure there are many old (sorry!) hands on here, any gems of advice to be gleaned about any of the above? Did anyone find retirement a tricky moment to handle?

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      I can't offer any retirement advice, given that I still have to serve probably 30 years (or infinity years given current trends), but I have just one thought on this. Savour this, because I don't usually do complements. It is this.

I can't believe you're due for retirement. Your posts exude an energy and sense of humour more characteristic of a young lass. If I'd be asked to guess, I'd have placed you in your mid 20s:)

• Like Like x 8
      • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +3,071
        I was forced to retire through ill-health, far earlier than normal. I felt much the same way, but once my health improved enough to be able to do something I have to say that retirement became a joy. And yes the money is not brilliant, but so what, the freedom is!
        My Father was something of a workaholic and he really enjoyed what he did. We all were worried when he had to retire. (in the days when you could and had to go at 65). Well after 3 months he declared that he often wondered how he ever found time to work with all the things he now did. You will get there.

• Like Like x 4
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,087
          Well I've been employed for 42 yrs, and became unemployed in October, since then I've not found a job and must admit to getting into the groove. I could quite happily not bother and struggle by, but I know I need to sort things out in the new year.

I've been finding all kinds of things that need doing around the house and garden, things that I never seem to get round to when working, and mostly not costing a large amount of money.

I never was one of those that "lived to work", more "worked to live", probably why I'm not rich, but I given up claiming Job seekers allowance, so I dont feel guilty anymore.

The more I think of retirement, the more I wonder just how fit and able I will be to enjoy it.
          Would be nice to take a "gap year", they didn't have them when I left school.

• Like Like x 6
          • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
            Ratings:
            +31,837
            Madahhlia,
            I'm with CL1 on your outlook to life and I'm confident you will adjust quite readily. It's normal to feel apprehensive but there is SO much to do apart from work!! I'm sure "a calling " will present itself in due course but, meanwhile just savour the freedom, independance and that luxury of just leaning on the farm gate and being motionless long enough to see nature in slo mo, hear that sound of wild life and reflecting on how good it was and how good it will be from here on in.
            I volunteer at our local hospice and love the appreciation I'm given by the people that I work with there. As a teacher, you will have a good pension and there is a bit that the State sends monthly, and you can smile gently as you stroll along enjoying your day saying to yourself "And they are paying me to do this".
            Believe me, it's wonderful,
            sincerely,
            Jenny namaste

• Like Like x 4
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              I'm not in your position (although I did once have the relatively traumatic experience of being made redundant - and not even a hint it was on the horizon!).

I think the key to your post is this: you are retiring from your job, but, not from life!

If aspects of the "job" are still something you hanker after do, please, look into voluntary work. Maybe teaching abroad on a voluntary placement? (I did that in China a couple of summers ago; amazing experience!).

And don't forget, we'll all be here to help you with the transition and support you in whatever direction you decide to take :grphg:

• Like Like x 4
              • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
                Ratings:
                +12,517
                FWIW, I can't see myself ever 'packing it in' completely. Sure, the thought of having no-one but myself to please seems enticing, but I know that I'm one of those that needs a reason to get up at a reasonable hour, and to have a sense of purpose. Yes, there's plenty to do around the garden, and some odd jobs that need doing around the house, but sooner or later I know that I'm going to be at a loose end, and I don't want to just sit in front of the 'box' all day. I've known a few people that once they've retired, haven't lasted long, and I'm sure it's because they miss the routine. Indeed, there was this one fellow that died at the wheel on his way to work on his retirement day! Sorry, I don't mean to depress you, but I think it illustrates the need to have a 'plan', something to look forward to even if it's only something modest. Maybe take up some hobby/sport/interest? Voluntary work? Part-time job? Of course, everyone is different as are their needs. Good luck :blue thumb:

Cheers...Freddy (57)

• Like Like x 3
                • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                  Ratings:
                  +7,341
                  Retirement is great, so long as you ensure you have an interest and stick at it
                  Financially you are usually slightly better off, as you do not have to commute or
                  pay for all the little things like snacks at work, lunches, raffle tickets, sponsorships
                  your turn for the cakes, new clothes to keep up with the set, after work do's and evenings out, that you really do not want to waste time at but feel you need to be in with the crowd

I miss the work and colleagues, but that soon goes when I think about the regime and management
                  Could you not arrange, to go in,two afternoons to help out voluntary if you miss working with the children

You will now have the time to live life instead of watching it go bye,
                  Only be sure to DO SOMETHING, get up as usual and go to bed as usual

ENJOY IT

Jack McH

• Like Like x 8
                  • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    All of the above:):dbgrtmb:

I didn't think you were old enough to retire either.

There are sunsets to be enjoyed, Gardeners Question Time on Radio 4, holidays in all the best gardening hotspots you can think of, taking the local kids out on nature walks (made a class of 6 year olds creep up on an ivy bush once, just to hear the bees & wasps buzzing) All sorts of stuff to do before you learn to Kayak, fish etc.

• Like Like x 7
                    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      The Shipping forecast, Desert Island Discs, Buddy Holly, Gardeners World, Gardeners Corner, Terry Waltons Allotment Slot, Gardening Catalogues hitting the letter box about now, Chelsea Flower Show, Hampton Court, West Dean Chilli Festival, Shineyland, The Melplash Show, The Shepton Mallet Giant Vegetable Show.

• Like Like x 3
                      • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
                        Ratings:
                        +31,837
                        Learn to ride a motor bike?
                        That's what I did,
                        Jenny

• Like Like x 2
                        • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
                          "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
                          Ratings:
                          +4,445
                          Do Not turn on the tv.:oops: my neighbour has it on all day, from when she gets up till she goes to bed. :snooze: I have turned into a radio 4 listener. they have some very interesting discussions, and the book they "act" out is usually interesting.:ideaIPB:

I have a rule not to put my tv on until nearly t.time for the quizzes,:dunno:, unless it`s a horrid day then I watch something I have recorded, they have some real mindless drivel on. :rolleyespink:.
                          I am currently doing a seed sowing plan,:spinning: it`s also very easy not to want to do anything, so I have an action plan for housework. 1 room a morning gets a good clean, live in a bungalow so not hard, :) with a looseness to it so I can fit in windows and lawn,and other outside jobs as weather permits.:SUNsmile::snork:.

• Like Like x 4
                          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                            +0

• Like Like x 3
                            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                              +0
                              Oh, you need to write a book about your life too, when the end comes, will you have done enough to someone to make a movie about your life? If not, you've still got time to go:)

• Like Like x 2
                              • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
                                Ratings:
                                +55,162
                                I'm loving it ... did before I even got my pension. Can't imagine how I even had time to work in the past and I don't seem to have the time now to do things I want to. We seem to be busy all the time, but take TIME OUT at least two to three times a week to have a lunch and sit by the sea or now at our place by the river. We tend to 'do' lunches as opposed to dinners as we live in the country (outbacks) so it's best not to 'drink and drive' at night (very strict drink/driving laws here) and we can sit in our home with a drink ... in the winter with our log fire going and summer enjoying our wonderful garden.

Certainly no regrets here.

• Like Like x 5