IS IT TIME TO GIVE UP YET

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by wibble, Feb 3, 2008.

1. wibble

wibble Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    After years of trying to get a decent bit of rear lawn - I am at the point of gracefully admitting defeat. Half the lawn is swampy wet most of the year,the other half bone dry. Added to this the kids, dogs, cats and now !***! moles continually try to find new ways of trying my patience. Naturally with all this rain the area is as much mud as grass. So no Wimbledon turf for me this year - but does anyone know a really hardy / quick growing grass seed (indestructible) that can survive my problems - so long as the lawn is tough and green - that will do me for now.

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    One with pleanty of dawarf rye grass. Dont be put off with a high rye grass mixture, the dwarf varietys are adiffernt strain to the old invader and are actualy used in tennis courts etc.

I would say around 60% dwarf rye and 40% creeping fescue.

3. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I buy grass seed from J toms and recomend you contact them.

http://www.jtoms.co.uk

Mixture 4R (undersub section grass seed) would be my choice but Id ask thier opinion.

4. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi Wibble Don't give up just take Pro Gards sound advice. [​IMG]

5. Jurassic

Jurassic Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good time to ask the question.

Before sowing the seed ( and I think that will be overseeding the existing grass I would begin a renovation regime.

a) If the grass needs a cut - IE its above 3" cut to 3" and take off the grass clippings. When the weather makes it suitable - grass and ground are dry.

b) waterlogging. Sounds if you have moss but assume its not permanent. Spike or, preferably, hollow tine (aerate) and remove the bits that come out.

c) brush in sharp sand, this will improve drainage.

d) Apply an Autumn Feed (one that doesn't have weedkiller or moss control). Autumn feed is high in phosphate and low in nitrogen. Builds those roots.

right, that catchs up on what you should have done a couple of months back.

Now follow the advice on this link:

http://www.dlf.co.uk/Johnsons_Lawn_Seed/Technical_Information/Overseeding.aspx

6. wibble

wibble Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys - going to get going on it when the spring is with us.