1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it worth saving my Gladiolus bulbs?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Selleri, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,683
    I have three lots of Gladioli which went in as an afterthought way too late this summer. :dunno: I planted them around June and they are just flowering now.

If I understand, bulbs put all their energy into flowering and only after the flowers have died, start recharging the bulbs for the next year. My plants will not have many weeks left before the frosts kick in, so are they worth saving?

In my small suburban garden there is no room for plants having a gap year, everything is in full sight and must earn their keep. :spinning: Then again, I hate binning plants and buying new ones if there is any life left...

Some of them are not flowering and don't even have buds. Would they have a better chance to flower next year than those which are flowering now?

Thanks! :)

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: I think I would leave them in the ground,( I don’t dig mine up for winter as they are sheltered) @Selleri and let them take their chances.. They might not flower next year but year after they should.. I moved some of mine and replanted late and they now bloom beautifully each year..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      I agree - they'll thrive or croak.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
        Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
        Ratings:
        +10,597
        leave them in the ground. let the green naturally wilt away. next year they will be on time.

• Like Like x 1
        • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
          +7,683
          Thanks everybody :)

Our winters up here in Newcastle are not very mild, do I really dare to leave them in? That would definitely be the easiest option, and even if they flower poorly the foliage is very nicely contrasting the fluffy Astilbes and Cosmos.

That is- if they survive... :noidea: I'll give it a try :)

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,089
          Here in the Cotswolds it gets disproportionately cold and they survive. The only ones that I ever needed to lift was Gladiolus murielae (Acidanthera).

• Agree Agree x 1