Is my cherry tree dying?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Christina Jones, Aug 9, 2023.

1. Christina Jones

Christina Jones Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    IMG_9661.jpeg IMG_9658.jpeg IMG_9660.jpeg IMG_9659.jpeg Hi all,

My cherry tree this year is looking very sick, we have hardly had any leaves or fruits. Two years ago it was the fullest and healthiest it has ever been but started to deteriorate since.
    I have attached a few images. From researching so believe it has gummosus which has just started. It also has green powdery coating on some of the branches. It has not been pruned hit several years which doesn't help.
    Any recommendations please on what can be done to try and revive it, if anything? Thanks

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,165
    Sorry, but my thoughts are its on the way out, they can go on for a few years like this but death is inevitable.

3. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,356
    Gummosis is a symptom rather than a disease in it's own right, so the tree has probably got bacterial canker. There's no cure but as pete says, it could soldier on for a few years yet. The green powdery stuff is lichen. Harmless and reputed to be a sign of clean air :)
    As cherries are so susceptible to disease, there's no need for regular pruning other than to cut out damaged or diseased branches in midsummer. If the trunk is affected, though, there's not much point.

4. TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
    +247
    Hi Christina

Has any landscaping work been undertaken around the tree within the last two years?