Is my new Acer okay?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Scruffbag, Sep 22, 2024 at 7:05 PM.

Tags:
  1. Scruffbag

Scruffbag Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I was given a small Acer as a gift, in a small pot. I repotted it following instructions online (Gardeners World) to mix two types of soil 50:50 (John Innes 3 & Ericacious compost).

But the lower leaves seem to be discoloring. I've been told that they don't like exposed areas, and it's currently placed fairly sheltered next to the shed, but sometimes there is still a breeze which can't be helped.

The top leaves look healthy. If there was a problem with the health is it safe to assume that the whole plant would look unwell?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,359
    Hello, well there's something it's unhappy about! Not being rude, but was it cheapie ericaceous compost? Nowadays a lot of fabricants use chopped wood and vegetable waste instead of peat to bulk out compost. The bark topping will also take nitrogen out of the compost as it decomposes. Is it being watered with hard tap water?
    Given that the top growth does look healthy I'd say that it's probably a reaction to conditions in the small pot before you were given it. If it was suffering sun or wind scorch then the new leaves would show distress as well.
    I'll show the pictures on a French gardening forum, though, with your permission. It's crawling with Acer nuts and one expert in particular. He'll be able to say whether it's a disease.

3. Scruffbag

Scruffbag Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much for your response, please by all means share on another forum. Appreciate your help.

I'll remove the bark. I don't know if it was cheap compost. It was by Westland. It is watered with the hose although with the rain we've had over this weekend and due this week, I won't be doing that for a while. I was considering getting a water but for the garden. Maybe this would be a good reason to do that.

Thanks again for your help

4. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,553
    How much bigger is the pot you've put it in? They don't appreciate being over potted, especially at this time of year when conditions can be much wetter. It can mean roots sitting in soggy conditions. While acers are more than happy with plenty of moisture, they also need good drainage in a pot.
    Also, you really need a soil based mix if it's staying potted long term. An ordinary compost, even a decent quality one, is only any good for a short while for anything woody.
    I'd agree that there could have been damage being created before you got it - wind and drought cause most problems with foliage, but that old foliage at the base doesn't mean there's an ongoing problem, especially as the newer stuff looks fine, but it's also important to make sure you haven't buried it too deeply. The level you replant when moving into a larger or different pot needs to be the same, especially as many acers are grafted.
    Bark is fine as a top dressing, but not if it's covering that graft.

• Agree Agree x 1