is there a future for our fuchsia's

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by daznjo, Jul 11, 2011.

1. daznjo

daznjo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    As i have said before we are in our first year as gardners so forgive me if this is a silly question but........
    We got some mail order fuchsia plugs from the newspaper for our new garden. they are for hanging baskets and claimed to have blooms as big as your hand. Well they certainly told the truth ! These things have bloomed like you wouldnt believe, our hanging baskets look fantastic.
    Question is can we somehow save them for next year or are they for the green recycle bin? we really love our new garden and want to try and learn as much as we can.

We have a greenhouse if it helps.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Only one way to find out,:D Once they`ve gone over, (october/november time) remove all the leaves, either leave the plants in the baskets, or carefully take them out and pot up. Wrap well with fleece and put in the greenhouse. If it gets frosty I would even wrap them in bubble plastic.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • BobsFuchsias

BobsFuchsias Gardener

Security
      Ratings:
      +14
      Hi Daznjo.
      Yes your Fuchsias do have a future, i grow 400, as long as you can keep your greenhouse frost free, have newspapers handy for the heavy frosts your plants will come through the winter, ease off on the water over winter but don't let them dry out completely, i have some plants that are 5 years old and still going strong.
      Bob

• Like Like x 1
      • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
        Ratings:
        +6,654
        Having no greenhouse at the time I kept a few favourite fuchsias in boxes of polystyrene packaging chips and then wrapped fleece round the box when it got really cold (I removed all the leaves and cut back any soft shoots first). I kept them in the shed which I knew was frost free for most of the time. I checked them every now and then just to make sure they hadn't completely dried out, that was about it and they used to always start into growth again in the spring :thumb:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,882
        Just as a precaution you could take some cuttings now and start them off. They will root after a few weeks in water and then you can pot them up.