Is there a way to know what seeds these are?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by HBK, Oct 31, 2010.

1. HBK

HBK Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    While tidying up my front garden I found these seeds, pictured below.
    [​IMG]
    They're in a similar position to the place where every year a bluebell sprouts so that would be my first guess but I've never found seeds there before and there are so many of them. I'll pick them up later in any case and bag them up ready to plant in the back garden, that'll settle it.

edit: They're not as big as they look, use the snail shell as a point of reference.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    They look like bulbs to me, rather than seeds. I wonder if they have "lifted" from the plants (with the help of an animal, or because they were close to the surface and have just pushed-up). Assuming they are Bluebells, and you want them / more in that spot, then make a little hole with your finger / a stick about 2 - 3 times the height (measure from flat-base to pointy-tip of bulb) of the bulb, and replant them in situ. You could go in armed with a trowel, and do a more thorough job, but you risk disturbing whatever else is already in there.

3. HBK

HBK Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    bulbs! That's the word I was trying to think of. :hehe: Basically the same thing anyway.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated and the idea that they were lifted or pushed is interesting.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    They are snowdrop bulbs HBK, they are not quite big enough for bluebells I think you will find.. Just push them into the soil either there or elsewhere & they will carry on growing... They have a natural anti-freeze element built into them.... :wink::thumb:

5. Catherine

Catherine Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Marley, HBK, and suggest you plant them somewhere right away as, if you 'pick them up later in any case and bag them up ready to plant in the back garden' they'll deteriorate and not flower as well in spring.

Why not plant them (and any other bulbs you find) in pots right away, so they don't have to battle for living space with your garden's weeds, and once you have that area 'sorted', you'll know where you want them to go permanently? :)

6. barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +73
    I have a large number of bluebells in the garden which I am trying to move - these could well be small bluebell bulbs, they certainly look like them to me. Catherine's suggestion to pot them up seems the best way to deal with them.

Bluebell seeds get everywhere and eventually grow into bulbs.