Is there only certain plants you can grow/plant this time of year?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Liamish, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Liamish

Liamish Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I hope this isnt a stupid question but is there only certain things you can plant this time of year? Just bought my first home and dont want to make a mess of doing the garden up for the first time

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,889
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Liamish. It is too late to grow or plant annuals but there is no reason why you can't plant perennials, although flowering time will be short as we're now a good way through the season. You can also plant shrubs and trees, but remember to keep them watered through the rest of the summer, should the rain ever stop. :)

3. loveweeds

loveweeds Gardener

Ratings:
    +210
    best time for planting perennials is usually spring or autumn. Best chance for success. I'd rather wait... Gives you time to make your mind up which plants you want!
    For some colour right now you might buy some bedding, but you have to keep it watered in dry weather, because the plants won't grow roots into the adjoining soil anymore, which makes them more prone to drying out

• Like Like x 1
    • Liamish

Liamish Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      excellent. cheers for the help peeps!