1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a birch?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by nikirushka, Oct 6, 2017.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    I thought it was and I kind of still do but I'm not sure, as I've only grown native silver before. This one self-seeded in my guttering and I assumed it was the same (as it appeared right after the last seeds left mine before it was blown down) but as it grows, it's clearly not the same species. It's about 4ft at the moment. Thoughts? 2017-10-06 15.10.46.jpg
    2017-10-06 15.10.57.jpg
    2017-10-06 15.11.27.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Yes, looks like a 'native' Silver Birch to me. I had a mature (about 30 foot high) Silver Birch self seed some 30 to 40 new trees downwind (before I felled it) and I've been coppicing half of them for pea sticks every other year and left the rest to grow for firewood, felled them earlier this year so they'll now also be producing pea sticks.

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
    • nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
      +93
    • nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
      +93
      Next question: how best to coppice it/keep it small? I let the last one grow tall and lost it. I don't want to lose this one and, it's planted next to a fence so I'm aiming for view-blocking rather than height as such so I want about a 7-8ft height on it.