1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a terrible idea? Acer question...

Discussion in 'Trees' started by BrandNewGardener, Jun 12, 2017.

1. BrandNewGardener

BrandNewGardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    I visited a local nursery with a very good reputation last week and they have some beautiful plants. I went to look at the acers and they were really pretty inexpensive compared to others I've seen elsewhere.

I noticed though that a few had what I thought looked like black spot all over the leaves. Not huge spots, but small and LOTS. The poor trees almost looked like they had been showered in black soot. The affected acers were physically in contact with some and very close to others.

My understanding is that black spot fungus can be transmitted not just on contact but in the air to other plants so I'm assuming that all other acers there (and even surrounding plants) could potentially be affected even if they're not yet showing any signs of infection?

I was really surprised because this nursery has such a good reputation so I've been second guessing myself, wondering whether or not I've got it wrong. I do have black spot on a couple of my roses though and it looks the same. I don't know how 'experts' can bring themselves to try to sell something so blatantly covered in fungus though so maybe I really am wrong! What about the other plants at the nursery? Would I be best staying away altogether? I saw a stunning hydrangea that I was really tempted by but this put me off and I walked away empty-handed. The acers were lovely and big and such fabulous shapes though. Would it be stupid to try to buy one at a reduced price and then keep it at the front of the house away from all other plants (there's nothing but a gravel drive there), treat it and only move it when it has (hopefully) recovered, or should I stay well away?

(Sorry, I'm new to gardening so this is all quite a learning curve!!).

Thanks!

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hiya BrandNewGardener
    Hmmmmm! Difficult isnt it? I haggle for everything, always look for the best deals, etc., but I would never...now with more experience.....add any plant that looked other than in the best of health. Better to pay more for a healthy plant even if smaller....actually buying slightly smaller is often the way to go :)
    My local nursery....a big one......had cannas for sale a couple of years ago. To me though they were not as healthy looking as they should be. I chatted with the owner and she removed them to an isolated spot outside. It turned out the cannas had virus and were destroyed. I am pleased I resisted temptation.....a variety I wanted was beckoning.......as the virus would probably have affected my own plants

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • BrandNewGardener

BrandNewGardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +17
      Yes, it really is difficult. Argh! Thank you for your advice! The acer I've seen there that I really like is £55 (definitely full price, so not already discounted), but ones of a similar size/shape elsewhere have been nearer £200 hence the dithering! I've never dealt with black spot before so I don't know how hard it is to get rid of or how easily it spreads. Of course if it ends up killing (?) or otherwise affecting my other plants it could cost me more than the amount of money I'd save in fungus treatments and replacements!

Thanks again @Verdun :)

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487