Solved Is this an orchid? What kind?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by HousePlantHermit, Feb 10, 2024.

1. HousePlantHermit

HousePlantHermit Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

my MIL gave me one of her plants that she has had for years .. she said it is an orchid but I’m not sure what it is or what kind of orchid it is.

Is it in good shape? What can I do to make sure it’s thriving?

I have no clue about orchids but I would say those roots look like they’ve seen better days!

Help!!! Please :)

Thanks,
    C x

Attached Files:

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,291
    Hi,

Its a Dendrobium and looks a rather old but healthy plant.

They do look good when in full flower but not the best looking thing the rest of the time imho.

Generally, as with most Orchids, water by flushing through as they do not like to sit cold and wet, you will see the living roots turn green as the water contacts them, so wait for them to turn lighter before watering again.
    Try to use room / tepid temperature water and 1/4 strength houseplant fertiliser once a week

Not an orchid we have grown much, but gave this link to a friend who also got one and they followed their regime and its doing well.

This Abundantly Blooming Orchid Will Be the Star of Your Houseplant Collection

• Like Like x 1
    • On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,502
      If at all possible orchids prefer rain water and standing them on a gravel tray will help with the humidity which they like.