1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this Birch tree dead?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by hedgefog, Oct 10, 2018.

1. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    Our Birch tree was getting too high about 30 ft, and has too many branches blocking view in the back garden.

So I went up on a ladder and sawed it into half. The trunk fell onto the ground leaving half of the trunk, but while doing so, I also took off many branches which looked rotting, twisting ..etc

Now the tree is about half the height, but only one or two branches left with some leaves. It still haven't dropped leaves or wilted away.

But I was just wondering if it will revive, and grow again come next spring.

2. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,731
    If you can post a photo of it @hedgefog some of the tree experts will be better able to advise.

3. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    Will do. Thank you Clare G.

4. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    How old is the tree? I have a youngish silver birch, about 10-15 years old. It was too top heavy and I wanted it bushier. Two years ago we did what you’ve done, cut the top half off. It’s now a nicely shaped tree and growing well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
      +69
      It is about 7 - 8 years old. Yes, top was very heavy. Now cut in half and only 1 - 2 branches left.

Hopefully it will start growing again.

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,090
      Im guessing youvve over done it. Taking off a third at a time max is safe anymore and it may never recover. You didnt say when you trimmed it. If it was in the Spring then its toast as it will have bled out.

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,976
        If you have done it recently my bet is it will survive.

But its probably going to look pretty awful for a year or two.:smile:

And will need further lighter pruning to shape it up next year, but not in spring.

• Like Like x 1
        • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
          +69
          Yes, it had been done a week ago.

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          Truly such a beautiful looking tree. Everything about it says. Look at me. It's often whispery branches against a dramatic sky, to the poet or artist, who could ask for more. Sadly despite all it's attributes it remains so often a short lived tree. Strange really, as if you check out the geographical domains. It can be found in practically all areas. Amongst gardeners in general, the Sycamore is more often than not called. The weed of the forest. However from my limited study, the Birch...Fagus sylvaticus tends to outnumber it. At face value. The wood appears to be dying, rotting in fact yet the tree lives on. If downed by a storm, soon vertical gowths appear. I'd like to venture on a journey into the Birch. Any member with a scienticic interest willing to come along>

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          Friends. I am so delighted when I read Q&A's relating to trees. Naturally gardening forums are a meeting place for those who simply love plants and flowers. Ooops! sorry veggie growers, but I am sure we are all on track here. What would we do without our spuds, greens and salad crops. Oh no! Not gruel again for dinner. Yuck!

Back to trees. Where would we be, without them? Truly. I cringe whenI hear the sound of a chainsaw. To me. Trees are so important and beneficial to life. Yes, we know about how trees absoeb the impurities of our atmosphere etc. To me. Trees mean so much more. Apart from the delights of the eye, there is so much more. Strange, but I have this tendancy to learn, reseach etc. Sometimes there's not enough hours in a day. Times, I get stifled by the city air....Oh to get amongst trees. Here amongst the trees. The air is so much cleaner, lighter. Looking up to the canopy....wowee. Strange to say. Some of the tallest tress in our forests and woodlands, actually have a very small rootball. Such giants. Firm but flexible. I like many, tend to go through bouts of depression, times I get all mixed up, even thinking I am better than what I am. This is true. A few minutes in a woodland and the trees come to my rescue.
          When due to a medical. I was forced to leave the police service. I took up employment with the LCC/GLC Parks Dept and worked inthe ancient woodlans of Oxleas Woods. Paradise.

Now I read in my science papers. Beech trees are now under threat from disease. The internet provides so much information. So please, fellow tree lovers. Keep an eye open, take great care of your trees and the nations trees.