Is this compost ready yet?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by glasgowgreen, Apr 25, 2009.

1. glasgowgreen

glasgowgreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in need of some speedy advice, :-) (as I stand here with fork in hand!)
    I'm making a raised/deep bed at the mo' and wanted to put a layer of compost in said bed.
    When I opened up my council compy bin, this is what it looked like and it's not how I thought it should look.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Advice needed please, is it usable yet, or should I just shovel it all back in??
    PS It is also overrun with ants and big fat worms.
    Thanks in advance.
    Linda

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    From what I can see it looks good to me Linda.:)
    Similar to what I've put on my patch this morning:thumb:

3. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi glasgowgreen, as Paladin says, it looks fine - especially if it has nice big fat worms in it. :)

If it is very smelly and slimy it should be left longer, but yours looks nice and black and crumbly from what I can see. :gnthb:

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Worms are good! they will be finishing off the composting process - the fact that there are loads of them is a good sign - if the heap was sour (like a grass-clipping-only-pile) they wouldn't be there.

Looks like some weed seedlings, or roots in the right hand picture? Nought you can do about them, but they might all germinate when you spread the compost, but you'll just have to hoe or pull them up,

5. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +705
    That looks just like my compost. As others say the worms are doing their work! I get bits and pieces [usually tbags] and sift through as best I can [or rather OH does] then he bags it all up ready for use.

Ours was awful at one stage until we realised we were putting far too many grass cuttings on it!

6. Greenjeans

Greenjeans Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Smell it.......smell sweet and earthy? It's ready to go. Mine always had chunks that I throw back into the pile and recycle it for another round. Mine is never all smooth and I don't believe anyones is unless they take time to sift it and I sure don't bother to do that.

Yours looks completely yummy!