Is this OK?

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by clanless, Aug 26, 2018.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,618
    Spurred on by my picket fence project - I've made a large planter using the timber from 2 pallets.

I've decided to 'do a Scrungee' :heehee: and paint it with any white paint lying around in half empty paint pots. So far I've finished off the Ronseal Garden Paint, some satin wood paint and have made a start on a half empty pot of smooth masonry paint. I'll have enough of the masonry paint to finish it off ready for planting up next year. It doesn't look too bad and will match up quite nicely with the picket fence.

Any body used masonry paint for painting wood? Is this a good or a bad thing? Conflicting views on the interweb as usual.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Yes Clanless, I have used masonry paint on wood. If the wood is sound it works fine. Doesnt harm or do good to wood in my opinion. I have done so for reason you have, to match up with something else :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,475
      On soft wood ok-ish but hard wood the paint don't stick and can wash off in the rain

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
        Ratings:
        +7,618
        I've just applied the last coat of masonry paint - the timber is rough sawn so hopefully the masonry paint will stay put.

This is what it looks like:

IMG_20180828_134206.jpg IMG_20180828_134221.jpg
        I'm quite pleased with it :biggrin: - free pallets and used up bits of leftover paint which was destined for the bin. When it's ready to be planted I'll place a reversed compost bag into the planter - black side outwards - line with cat litter and then top up with compost.

Some trailing Petunia with geraniums in the centre - possibly - I'm leaning towards a blue/white theme for next year - so blue Petunia and white Geraniums perhaps :dbgrtmb:.

• Like Like x 4