Is this wise ?

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by PeterS, Aug 14, 2012.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    2012_08130002.JPG
    I am growing this in my front window at the moment. But my neighbour is a bit worried.

I said that no one is going to see it or know what it is - I am only going to grow it for its shape and flowers. Its not as if I am going to smoke it. Am I right to think that no one will know what it is?:scratch:

2. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I've no idea what is Peter and I'm SURE nodbody else does:th scifD36:

but seriously I've had neighbours stop and stare at my houseplants in my bedroom window because they don't think it's normal for a guy in his early 20's to be gorwing anything other than weed:rolleyespink:

Saying that it doesen't look like the usual (not that I know what the usual look like of course:phew:) the leaves are very spaced out and it's more spindly:scratch:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hex_2011

Hex_2011 Gardener

Ratings:
      +134
      I think they`ll jump to the wrong conclusion and think its something else. You could fill the window with them and wait for the knock on the door. If you`re lucky you could get a new front door and an apology :) Not only that, the next time they got a tip-off, they probably wouldnt bother turning out.

Aesculus, the leaf veins are wrong they should have a herringbone pattern and the edge serrations are too soft. A quick google search suggests its something like Texas Star Hibiscus.

• Like Like x 4
      • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,016
        Hex - that's brilliant. That's exactly what it is - Hibiscus coccineus - Texas Star Hibiscus - which I grew from seed this year. :dbgrtmb: I did say I wasn't going to smoke it. :heehee:

My neighbour was concerned, but I was sure that I was right that no one would know what it was. But I was wrong - Oh well back to the drawing board.:gaah:

• Like Like x 3
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +123,162
          You could put a sign up saying "This is not....." :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
          • Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
            Ratings:
            +1,337
            Pretty much sums that up then Peter :)

• chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,616
            i have known the old bill go to a house for tommy plants on a window sill ...... admittedly the son did used to grow ..... other things ..... but they raided poor grannies all the same :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            :biggrin: It does look the part.

Get the neighbours more worried by growing a load of Hemp Agrimony in the flower beds:snork: interspersed with a few Helebores.

• Like Like x 1
            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,669
              ... and get some really powerful Metal Halide lamps for your over wintered plants, and preferably put them in greenhouse / conservatory where everyone local can see the light pollution ... and jump to conclusions!

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +4,016
              The silly thing is that many of us are growing (quite legally) halucinogenic plants in out gardens. I currently have Brugmansia, Datura, Iochroma and Leonotis nepetifolia, and I have grown others in the past.

Zigs - I know of Hemp Agrimony (Eupatorium cannabinum) as I am growing other Eupatorium but have only just had a Google and realised why its called cannabinum. :biggrin:

Kristen - in winter my hall and an upstairs bedroom have the windows covered in white polythene with plants and grow lights behind. You can clearly see the plant shadows, which has raised some eyebrows. :snork:

• Like Like x 1
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,669
                So ... you've got more work to do to get to the more impressive "New front door and apology level" then, eh?!

• Like Like x 1
                • kels

kels Gardener

Ratings:
                  +27
                  We moved into our place end of April into a very old village mostly old people with old habits old ways..nothing but. We have changed the front garden 3x since..first to cut down a jungle,then to make borders and clear cut & shape. Then mid July the lawn has been taken out & half the plants I put in. Leaving about 20 plants which come out and be put back once we have sorted it out as a turnaround(gravel). Everyone that passes the bungalow (very long lane but a single cars width wide) looks stops points says something looks around have a conversation then carrys on talking and walks off some times they talk to us if we are in the garden sometimes they don't. The last thing that was their talking point is the 4 foot & a 6 foot fence along the side of bungalow. This weekend hun is taking out all the edging stones and adding more and putting membrane down.If that gets finished then hopefully gravel will arrive within weeks. Give them something to talk about :loll:
                  I think if someone or people want to be nosey or look for the sake of looking they will we have had it for three & half months so far. I think it will be a permant thing we just ignore the funny ones & chat to the encouraging ones. At the end of the day your doing what you are doing for you.. not them:autlvs:

• Like Like x 3
                  • greeninmanyways

greeninmanyways Gardener

Ratings:
                    +25
                    they say trouble comes in 'threes' well here is the list that may come your way. customs inspector, police (drug squad) and funny-farm van. when the other two realise you were just 'having a joke!'

• Like Like x 1
                    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                      +19,597
                      I don't think it will fool anyone. If someone thinks it is what I think you think they think it is, then I'd be asking them why they think its that, I think.

Seriously though, I don't think you'll have many hippies sneaking in to smoke it. Well you might, some people will smoke anything. I once knew a farmer that used to mix 50/50 baccy and dried horse poo to save a few bob.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                        +0
                        Think I bought some of that off him at Glastonbury.

• Like Like x 3