Isn’t Technology Brilliant?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Kandy, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    This past two weeks Mr Kandys sister and his brother in law have been over in Canada experienceing the country on the Rocky Mountaineer train and are travelling home today.

What I find fascinating is that I can tap into Google the flight numbers and it takes me to the Air Canada website and I can see a little computerised map showing me the route,time of departure/arrival at Heathrow airport,air speed, height at which they are flying how long they have been in the air how long they taxied on the runway befor they left and how many minutes they will taxi on the runway when they land etc and at the moment they should be asleep as they cross the bottom of Greenland and on towards the daylight of the U.K.:snorky:

I know you can get Apps for the phones which track the flights of aircraft as my niece had one when her fiancé piloted planes and she could see where he was in the world:biggrin:

I have even been on Trip Advisor to get reviews(good and bad)for this trip to see what people think of the experience for the thousands of pounds it has cost them, plus Mr Kandys sister has been sending us photos every day by Whats App so we can see some of the food they have eaten and scenery they have seen by train and coach etc.:biggrin:

I could never have imagined when I was a youngster just how technology would improve at such a fast pace over the years and I hope I live long enough to see many more inventions etc that will benefit us all for years to come:snorky:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      It is amazing the information the flight tracking gives on the airline sites . On my tablet I use FlightRadar24 app , it tracks all the registered flights in the UK . So if one is going overhead you click on it and it can tell you it's New York to Frankfurt , plane type landing time etc. I have no practical use for it , but when I am sitting in the garden it's nice to know where all the jet streams are going

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
        +10,302
        • Informative Informative x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +117,295
          As I'm (not quite) a devout Luddite I find that I'm not interested in all these things but do use some as a useful tool. :noidea:

I wish the taxi companies would use them properly. They all say that they use them but our taxis rarely turn up at the right time! You can lead a horse to water.... :snorky:

• Agree Agree x 2
          • HarryS

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            I have a taxi app , it always advises one of these
            1 - It's just round the corner.
            2 - Be with you in 2 minutes.
            3 - It's on it's way.
            :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 2
            • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,996
              Sounds rather like Amazon Prime delivery promises before you buy, only when it's dispatched do you find out your purchase was in an Amazon warehouse in Barcelona, Milan, etc. and will take longer than you expected.

• Like Like x 1
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +117,295
                It will take even longer from those two places now. I can't see either new prime minister making things better.

Wait till Catalonia goes independent. :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
                • Kandy

Head gardener
                  Ratings:
                  +6,543
                  @shiney Mr Kandys sister went with Tixxn Travel so was picked up and dropped off back at home with their door to door people carrier service which is one of the reasons the trip is costly and also I think they were silly not taking a credit card away with them because I am sure if there had been a serious medical emergency and had had to go to hospital they would have needed one,but what do I know:snorky::scratch:

We tracked them as the plane came into Heathrow and it tracked round in an effort to get the landing lights lined up right for landing.They were in cattle class going over and was not happy with the seating arrangements and was having a moan but as the plane was only two thirds full they were able to get a window seat so was then happy:snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +117,295
                    @Kandy That's a good holiday company and we've used them a few times. Never any problem with the transport to and from the airport. I wish the other holiday companies would do the same. Then they have someone meet you at the airport and take you through to check in. Excellent service.

Funnily enough, we've never had any trouble with the taxis we have booked in advance in the rest of the world.

She should have first checked in on line either the day before, or earlier if possible, and picked her seats. Some airlines allow you to book your seats two weeks before but BA only allow it 24 hours before - unless you pay extra.

A credit card is always handy but a medical emergency is sorted out by your insurance. If you don't have holiday insurance you're a bit silly and a lot of travel companies won't allow you to travel without it. For single trips it's quite cheap. For oldies like us it gets a bit more expensive but we have annual cover to be able to travel anywhere in the world, as often as we like, and it only costs £190 to cover both of us.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Kandy

Head gardener
                      Ratings:
                      +6,543
                      @shiney I don’t know whether they bothered to look at the plane seating plans before they went so can’t answer that. They flew with Air Canada and they certainly wouldn’t have upgraded as she is what Mr Kandy calls miserly so wouldn’t even upgrade to Gold Leaf on the train which would have given better views of the scenery as she sent us a WhatsApp complaining of the first days travel on the train as the views were of tree,trees and more trees:biggrin:

They had travel insurance as her husband is a Type2 Diabetic and she has Ulcerative(sp) Colitis but didn’t tell Rocky Mountaineer of their dietary requirements but from what we can glean she was ok on the train.They stopped off at Toronto to get over the flying and to take her hubby to see Niagra Falls before they started the tour proper but as she doesn’t eat a lot at home, so when she did eat she was up all night with stomach problems if you get my drift so her hubby had to go and cancel the coach tour to the falls.:sad:

They did have travel Insurance as she said it was very expensive because of their health problems:sad: Apart form the train meals they lived on cakes and sandwiches as she refused to spend money out on hotel meals.No wonder her hubbys Diabetes levels are all over the place because sticky Canadian cakes won’t do him much good:sad: They did have some fish and chips allegedly from Barbs sea front shop on Victoria Island I think it was but that would have cost them an arm and a leg and she reckoned the Canadian Dollar was worth 60p in our currency:scratch:

They had some currency that was loaded onto a card before they went but not sure if that was one card or two as she doesn’t trust her hubby with money as he might spend it:snorky:

We will probably find out a bit more once we get back home from our walkabout:biggrin:

Good idea to get everything sorted before you go away especially if like you,you travel far and wide many times but this is their first long flight in many years so things have probably changed since the last time she went Canada.:biggrin:

She sent a text to say they didn’t sleep a wink on the plane back so don’t know what happened there.:scratch: Also brother in law said that they would be getting fed every two hours on the plane going over to Toronto but not sure if that is truth or Waffle:snorky:

• Like Like x 2
                      • shiney

Ratings:
                        +117,295
                        They probably served waffles as well! :snorky:

If they had got the right insurance company they are likely to have got it a lot cheaper.

We usually don't upgrade our seats but we check the seating plans of the individual planes, find out which are better than others (there are websites for that) and then book those free of charge. Their seats would have been pre allocated but checking in on line in advance allows you to change the seat. They give you a plan of which seats are available so you can check it. It's all done on line. We prefer aisle seats and we get them alongside each other but across the aisle. This allows us to get up whenever we like and wander around.

Not taking a credit card, as long as you have enough credit, is a bit short sighted. You never know when you might need it. :noidea:

• Kandy

Head gardener
                          Ratings:
                          +6,543
                          @shiney Mr Kandy has just had a long email from his sister informing him that there was a lot of upset with the seating on the flight home due to a cock up with Tixan and Air Canada and they and others on the plane were given seating in rows apart from each other plus seatsapart from each other and it caused a lot of hassle but eventually they got two seats side by side but couldn’t see out of the windows.His sister said she knew that you can check 24hours before a flight about the seating but she was expecting that between their travel company and Air Canada they would have got seating arrangements in blocks as she called them so that related people could all sit together.I think she spent all day yesterday worrying about it all but as we are not nearby can’t pop round to find out exactly how she is:sad:

Think I won’t bother going abroad as it sounds too much hassle,much better to sit together in a metal box with Mr Kandy called a car:snorky:

We agree about the credit card but can’t talk about it with her as this conversation was told to another relative who mentioned it to us thinking we knew about it:biggrin:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • shiney

Ratings:
                            +117,295
                            When there are groups going on planes they normally don't put the whole of the group together and sometimes don't even put couples together. That's why you need to check in online in advance.

Some airlines deliberately don't put couples together so that they can charge them extra when they want to change their seats. I don't want to mention names so I won't say it has an Irish sounding name! :whistle:

• HarryS

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +16,246
                            You could not possibly mean R**nair , @shiney . The company policy is to treat everyone equally as scum. :snorky: I won't attach the Fascinating Aida video on budget airlines...........

• Funny Funny x 2
                            • shiney

Ratings:
                              +117,295
                              @HarryS It couldn't possibly be them as they have categorically stated, when asked, that it's not their policy to deliberately split people up. :noidea:

• Funny Funny x 1