It never rains.....it pours

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by strongylodon, May 20, 2011.

1. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,471
    Not the weather but one thing follows another.

We got a buyer for our house two weeks after putting it on the market in March, great, we got an offer accepted on a bungalow (fairly large garden and greenhouses) only three of us in the chain, great, should be wrapped up by June.:thumb:
    Vendor pulls out (she decided not to move):mad: and now not sure whether buyer is serious, after six weeks there's no sign of a valuation by Building Society on our house, he has been given a week to act, if he pulls out we are back where we started in March. Nearly three months wasted.:mad::mad:
    If he is still buying we will have to go into rented untill we find what we want.
    On top of that, our tour of Morocco has been cancelled (not enough bookings!) :mad::mad::mad:

I think I will buy a LARGE bar of Cadbury's Bourneville (and Inhouse Advisor a LARGE Galaxy) and eat our way out of depression.:)

2. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    My sympathies Strongy. We put our house on the market September 2009 and didn't get to move until April 2010 - 7 months! and I thought it would happen so quickly :DOH: A lot of it was legal stuff, solicitors etc holding things up.

We've now been here a year and it was worth all the hassle.

Hope things happen for you soon.

BTW - chocolate is good for stress :thumbsup:

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :rolleyespink: Oh my goodness Strongy you poor thing..!! They do say buying & selling a house is one of the most stressful things we can do in our lives and it sounds like yours is living up to it... I hope you are not left high & dry & have to start all over again..!! :mad: Then to find your lovely holiday has been cancelled, what a double whammi...!! :rolleyespink: You enjoy those bars of choc Mr & Mrs Strongy.. :sunny:

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,092
    Hello my vertically challenged friend :heehee: .. our holiday was cancelled as you know due to horrendous weather .. and yesterday we were in an accident that wrote one of our cars off (fortunately not Izzy) ... so we have decided that life can be C*R*A*P at the best of times ... thank goodness we have our health ... although we both ate a lot of unhealthy food and drank too much last night ... :love30:

Our love to you both always ... xx

5. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    When I was buying our house, we very nearly missed it. The vendor had specified a deadline, and we missed it by over a week (the deadline was, we were told by our solicitor, very reasonable). Our solicitor had to write to the vendor begging for more time.

The reason for the delay? The required paperwork that I'd given to my building society had randomly gone missing somewhere between me handing it in person to the lady at the desk, and their head office. So I had to start all over again getting references from the boss to prove I worked where I said I did, filling in all sorts of forms, getting more copies of bank statements to show I had the deposit money available etc. I'm just glad I didn't have to give them my passport. If they'd lost that, there's have been no way I could have got a replacement in time to keep the deal on the table.

Holy mackerel Vic. Are you ok? I hope nobody was hurt.

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,365
    Hi strongy,
    Sorry to hear you're having a traumatic time over it but, as Marley says, it can be a very stressful time. I'm not sure that knowing it happens in a high percentage of cases helps much but at least you know you are not being picked on by the fates.

You soon get over it :dbgrtmb: but I don't think you ever forget it :mad:. We've been here 39 years but still remember the problems we had when the interest rates jumped three percent on the exchange day. Our purchasers dropped out because of it leaving us one hour to decide whether to also cancel or try and arrange a bridging loan. We took the plunge and got a bridging loan and rented out our house to students!!!! It took a year to sell it because of the high interest rates but we are, now, so pleased that we made the decision to by this place.

I hope you soon find another place that you like and everything runs smoothly. Three months is a very optimistic view of how long it takes for everything. Unfortunately, estate agents always take that view. Building societies and banks are notoriously slow and solicitors are never there when you want to talk to them, always seem to be on holiday (or someone is sick in the family) and, they say, the other side is not responding to letters. So, even when things run smoothly, three months is optimistic.

Be prepared to enjoy your garden for the summer :thumbsup:. When things do start to happen don't believe it when the estate agents and solicitor say everything is running to time, and phone the solicitor weekly to check that things are on time. I used to have a lot of solicitors as customers and they always said that the clients that pestered them most usually got put at the top of the list - but you need to first make sure that they have put in writing what their costs will be. Shop around for quotes.

These can give you an idea on costs:
    Conveyancing Costs - Easy UK Guide

Solicitors, legal and conveyancing costs for buying and selling a home | This is Money

Good luck with finding another place :). Do you want me to send you a 'Chocolate Care Package'? :D

Vicky, I hope you are both OK. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      My sympathies Strongy, and sorry to hear about the car Victoria.

Our buyer dissapeared on exchange/complete day, leaving me without a job and with a mortgage and a bridging loan to pay. Took a further 6 months to sell the place.

• capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
      Ratings:
      +1,320
      And people ask me why I have never moved since 1975.....
      Sorry about your problems Strongy. Life stinks some times.

Victoria. what an event for you. So glad you and yours are OK. Cats can be replaced but people are different.

• Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +81
      What a shame Strongy , but buying and selling houses is never easy. It does all work out in the end though you just have to go through all the hassle first.

When we bought our last house everything seemed to go smoothly until the last minute when the seller wouldn't move out ! :cry3: He said the house he was moving to wasn't ready and he wasn't going to have any inconvenience :rolleyespink:
      He didn't care about our inconvenience. His Solicitor tried to persuade him that legally he couldn't do that but he wouldn't budge.
      We had to move into a hotel and put our furniture and things in storage. What a nightmare. Our Solicitor said all we could do was sue him for our living expenses.
      We asked why we should have to sue him - could we not just deduct our living expenses from the price paid for the house and our Solicitor agreed we could do that, so that's the way it happened.
      I got the hotel to send his Solicitor a running total for our bill every day so that he couldn't say he didn't know how much it was all costing. After 2 weeks he took fright and moved out.

Our tour of Morocco for October got cancelled too :mad:
      And I don't like chocolate :gaagh:

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
      Ratings:
      +29,471
      Thanks for the replies to my moan, it seems the buyer IS intent on buying our house but there have been 'issues!' with his mortgage application which should be sorted and then have a valuation done next week, we will wait and see!
      Rented properties are getting harder to find and ones that will take a cat even harder.
      Oh well (Fleetwood Mac??:D) things could be worse, he could have pulled out.

Alice was your trip with Archers/Cosmos or another company? They (Archers) offered us a date in August which was no use to us and therefore declined and got a refund, we also got a refund for our non refundable stays in a Travel Lodge too as we had early and late flights.
      We have just booked 11 days on the roughly same dates in C'an Picafort in Mallorca (Thompson Gold, no kids:yess:) no the same but we like the place and you can still get away from the crowds.

Vicky how frightening, I hope you are both OK, I remember you cancelled your holiday, is Madeira still on?

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      Sorry to hear about your problems, Strongy.:wallbang: I hope it will all end well. Is Marley right about moving/selling house being the most stressful thing we can do?:scratch:

I thought being married took that prize:heehee::heehee::heehee::stirpot::D

• shiney

Ratings:
      +122,365
      I think the official table is:

Bereavement

Moving house

Divorce

not sure where marriage comes :scratch: :D

• Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,951
      strongyloden, you're scaring me now, I'm hoping to move next year..............!!

Val

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      Oh, Shiney, you're playing it safe!!!:D

• shiney

Ratings:
      +122,365

Me!!!! Never!!! :heehee: