Italian Cypress or Juniper Skyrocket?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Tweezers, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Tweezers

Tweezers Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone please explain the differences between the Italian Cypress and the Juniper Skyrocket? I like the look of both of them but what are the growing conditions, eventual height, looks and benefits of each?

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    In your location I would be inclined to go for the Italian Cypress ( Cupressus sempervirens ). It is a narrow,columnar tree which holds it`s shape more than Skyrocket. Again, a better plant than Skyrocket is juniper Blue Arrow. All three plants grow well here in South Wales but if it were my choice I would go with the Cupressus. David.

3. Tweezers

Tweezers Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks daitheplant. I want ones that grow very tall. I remember reading that the skyrockets don't get as tall as the Italian Cypress but that they are hardier. How tall does the Juniper Blue Arrow get do you know?

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hi Tweezers, Blue Arrow is actually bred from Skyrocket but is much tighter in habit. Height-wise you are looking at about 3 metres in 10m years with an eventual height of abiut 10 metres. David.