It's quite amusing..

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by stephenprudence, Jul 16, 2015.

1. stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
    Ratings:
    +2,369
    what some places think they can plant and get away with.. but it's little sad as well because these are fairly grown up Phoenix roebelenii.. and they will not survive the winter unless either extremely well protected, or really fortunate.

[​IMG]

it's also a shame because it's a nice bit of architectural planting, which is rare these days around these parts.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      I don't know them Stephen, but I agree they are nice plants.

I notice that Morrisons, near me, are selling some good sized Phoenix canariensis for £10, but they are marked as hardy palms. I don't think they are hardy in Yorkshire - I don't know how far south you have to go.

Stephen - now is you change at the start of winter to take them off their hands for a small sum - that is if you have somewhere to keep them.

A couple of years ago, at the end of the season, I managed to get 5 good sized Ensete maureliis knocked down from £125 to £10 at B&Q. I stored them as dry corms, but sadly woke them up in the spring in quite the wrong way - only one survived.

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,076
        Is it just me or do you not see as many P. roebelenii for sale these days as you did a few years ago?
        I think we had this phase where they were saying global warming was altering out climate and stuff like this would be able to survive winter here.
        Complete bunkum, as the onset of cold winters in the late noughties proved, and a hell of a lot of tender stuff sold to the unwary was killed stone dead.

I've never found P. canariensis to be hardy in my garden, although I've seen maybe one or two survive, planted so close to buildings that they are an embarrassment.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,015
          That's interesting Pete - because I thought that nearly everything was hardy in your garden. :love30:

The phrase that Morrisons use for P. canariensis of "hardy palm" is really pushing it then. Perhaps its just the money that's hardy. The plant dies but the money lives on.:rolleyespink:

• Agree Agree x 2