ITS Raining..!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by wildflower, Jul 20, 2006.

1. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Have never been so glad to see rain ..It was supposed to rain last night but instead started in the early hours..The garden is desperately in need as its scorched.. orange lawns with green spots...must be the latest trend...!..The flower beds cracking with dryness..as no matter how much i water the plants it just dissapears with the hot air..fortunately because i grow native wildflowers and herbs i havnt lost anything in the heat ..has anyone else got rain ? Its suopposed to get hot again later,,UNFORTUNATELY..

2. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
  3. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Well, I very much hope you get a decent bit of rain in the Midlands. My mother who lives in Stourbridge was telling me her garden is getting desperately dry and crispy. Here, it spattered a bit in the early hours of this morning and then cleared. Thunderous clouds came over a while ago, but they've gone and the sun's out so it looks like we're in for another very warm day. Must go and do the watering .... again :(

4. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Its stopped here now also but the local radio said we may have a storm this afternoon...PLEASE let us have a storm..I have slept downstairs all week with the dog to keep him cool as everywhere i go he goes..the rain was very welcome..i think we may have had a fair bit as the lawn looks drenched..and the orange is less orange..at least i only have to water the greenhouse now.. :cool:

5. SallyJ

SallyJ Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Would be great to see some rain down South as well. I had to drench one of my Viburnums last night as its leaves were beginning to dry up!

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Hi wildflower
    Lucky you - can you send some of it this way. All we've got is sunshine, but a bit hazy today.

I've done the watering this morning and am resting my poor old back. On the up side, one of our robins came and helped me. He didn't actually do any of the watering but kept sitting on my shoe and encouraging me.
    -------------
    shiney

7. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yesterday evening all we got was God wiping his brow and squeezing out his handkerchief. No use at all.

8. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hope you all get some rain ..its stopped here and feels even more humid..i think the rain has made steam..!! :D

9. millymilly

millymilly Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ...we haven't had a decent rain here in the Fens for weeks and weeks, nothing to fill a water butt for sure.

10. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    After reaching the dizzy heights of 42�° :eek: we had a storm of tropical proportions yesterday ....today is a cool 34�° !!! I think the continents are moving south :D :cool: M-L

11. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    the council recently finished the main road close to our house,and i swear the tarmac is melting!it rained last night in the early hours for a bit,but i was still awake after 2am it was so hot.the sky looks promising today, its that kind of no air feeling you get just before a storm but i wont hold my breath.

12. jervis

jervis Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in central London - hot, humid, smelly - but there's mackerel sky overhead and some nice grey stuff heading our way. The birds have stopped singing, so maybe it'll finally rain here properly!

13. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Here in deepest Cornwall the rain is thinking of coming down,lm pleased as the cracks in our lawns are so wide lm worried our little dog will fall in them :D :D hey ho

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    I hope it rains very soon. They are raping the crops in the field at the bottom of our garden and the air is filled with dust.

Yes, I did mean raping (not reaping) - the crop is rape!
    --------
    shiney

15. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    We actually had a sudden cloudburst on Tuesday, just about enough to freshen the air only. Since then we've been cooler; at the moment it's only 27,5oC, but I've still got the A/C on in the kitchen next to my computer!

M-L, hope you're keeping cool! Our high so far this year has been 34oC although further inland has been hotter.

Smiley Shiney, when we lived in Buckinghamshire our cottage was surrounded by rape fields and it caused me develop Hay Fever at the ripe old age of 46. Once coming home from work I had to stop the car as I couldn't breathe! It used to be just in May but now it seems April - August! When we would land at Plymouth and would be headed to Exeter I would immediately start sneezing and t'other half would say "rape fields"! [​IMG] Miss them I don't! :D