I've never noticed this with cow parsley

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Corystes, Jun 30, 2023.

1. Corystes

Corystes Apprentice Gardener

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +2
    The local council decided 2 years ago to let the verges run wild. Probably as a result, this summer I've noticed a number of hemlock plants growing in the verges. Checking closely some are clearly not hemlock, but look like cow parsley. Looking very closely I've noticed that in the centre of every cow parsley umbel is a single dark red floret. This was the case with every cow parsley plant I looked at. Is this local to East Dorset, or have I been unseeing this detail all these decades? Also the cow parsley finished flowering a number of weeks ago. Do individual plants just mature later here and there?

2. infradig

infradig Total Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +1,210
    Could it be Daucus carota, wild carrot, sometimes with a pink/purple floret ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Corystes

Corystes Apprentice Gardener

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +2
      Thanks infradig, you've nailed it. central coloured floret, flowering period, even the curling in of the old umbels - which I hadn't picked up on. Weird that it wasn't mentioned when Googling hemlock lookalikes. More frustrating that my aging brain had forgotten all about it!

• Friendly Friendly x 1