Ivy in same pots/planters as other evergreen plants

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Jblakes, Sep 6, 2024.

1. Jblakes

Jblakes Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Afternoon all,

We have a good number on pots and planters that have hebes, heather and various other everygreen plants. I was thinking about planting ivy around the edge to trail over.

Will the ivy eventually kill the other plants? Can i been it in check by pruning? Generally a good idea?

Kind regards
    James

2. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    It will be fine, I often use it as a trailing plant in mixed containers. It’s quite slow growing initially and can easily be kept under control by pruning. There’s some nice small leaved ones plus different variegations.

3. ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
    Ratings:
    +3,459
    It won't kill anything. Just keep it trimmed to the size you want. :)

4. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,438
    The small leaved varieties are quite well behaved in pots with other plants, so it should be fine, and just trim off anything you don't want, as already mentioned. It's certainly very useful in a big pot for trailing over and breaking up the expanse of the container sides. You'd probably only want one, or two at the very most, unless the container's really huge.
    In open ground, even the small ones can get vigorous, but in pots, they're better behaved.

5. Jblakes

Jblakes Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the advise. So ive taken some cuttings neighbours ivy growing thing .

What's the best way to grow these, just put them in the pots and they will root or do i need an inbetween step? Seems to be alot of different info online.

Kind regards
    James

6. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,438
    The best way to propagate ivy is to do the same as you'd do with strawberry runners, and peg down bits which have some root showing. They'll take root properly and grow on, and you can remove them at that point and replant where you want them, or grow on in a bigger pot for planting out. As you already have the pieces, it's probably better to stick them in small pots [3 inch or so] to get them rooted and growing. As long as there's some root on them, they should take quite readily.
    I use bits of wire to keep them firmly in place, as they're easily dislodged otherwise. Just tuck them somewhere out of too much sun, until you have new growth. It may not be until next year, but if they grow enough this year, and fill the pots well, you can stick them in the pots you want them and they should be ok.